Coastlands Aquatic Centre
Coastland’s Aquatic Centre is the most exciting community facility to be built in Kāpiti for years. It is expected to attract about 250,000 visitors annually, is an investment in current and future generations and will contribute to Kāpiti’s economic development.
The newly completed facility in Paraparaumu town centre will replace the old Raumati pool, which no longer meets the needs of a growing population and is costly to maintain.
The Coastlands Aquatic Centre will provide the district with an indoor community swimming facility that will cater for all ages and a wide range of water activities.
View a video fly around of the Coastlands Aquatic Centre here.
In October 2008 The Kapiti Coast Multi-Purpose Aquatic and Recreational Centre Trust was formed with the objective of building a new aquatic facility to meet the needs of water sports clubs as well providing recreational and fitness opportunities for the wider communities of the Kāpiti Coast.
Over the past four years, the project has become a reality. The Coastlands Aquatic Centre is a Council project being built in conjunction with the Trust (now known as the Kapiti Aquatic Centre Trust). Kāpiti Coast District Council is contributing $16.8 million to the $21.1 million project and the Trust $4.3 million.
Major local sponsors have been secured. Coastlands have bought naming rights for $750,000, Pak ‘n Save has contributed $400,000 and Kapiti Coast Physiotherapy (KCP) $290,000.
A thoroughly modern facility
Coastland’s Aquatic Centre is scheduled to be completed in June 2013 and will include:
- a multi-purpose 25 x 25 metre pool with moveable floor
- a programmes pool (a smaller pool with ramp access and a water temperature of 32 degrees, used for learn to swim programmes as well as hydrotherapy and special needs groups)
- a toddlers’ pool
- a hydro slide
- spa pool and sauna
It is hoped that a second hydro slide will be added in future, while an Olympic pool is the long term aim if community fundraising is successful.
- The main pool will be one of only two pools in the Wellington region with a moveable floor, making it multifunctional.
- The centre’s translucent roof will give users the feeling of being in an outdoor pool. It will reduce heating and lighting costs by around $30,000 pa compared to a traditional roof.
- The pools are made of laminated stainless steel panels, the very latest in swimming pool technology.
Kapiti Aquatic Centre Trust
The Trust is currently undertaking a number of fundraising activities, and welcomes support from the community.
To discuss sponsorship opportunities please contact Neil Mackay on ph 021-663-366.
More details about the Trust and its activities can be found at www.kapitiaquatic.co.nz
News and Press Releases
(To view more news and press releases, go here)
Coastlands Aquatic Centre Facilities and Location
Coastlands Aquatic Centre Design Options
Coastlands Aquatic Centre Meeting and Agendas
Coastlands Aquatic Centre Project Reports
Coastlands Aquatic Centre Webcam
Kāpiti Coast Aquatics
PwC website: www.pwc.co.nz/mainzeal