The Mahara Gallery’s Vision, and the wish of the Field Collection Trust, is for Mahara Gallery to become the final custodian of the Field Collection.
The Field Collection Trust is a group of private individuals who have continued to look after the artworks on behalf of the Field family since 1998, but do not have the professional facilities or staff that Mahara could offer as a public gallery.
This collection is of significant value to the community, as it includes 24 Frances Hodgkins' artworks, plus 22 other valuable works. The Field Collection Trustees would like to have a permanent home for this collection, but the current Mahara Gallery is currently not suited to storing or displaying these works on a permanent basis.
The primary future goals of the gallery are:
- To provide storage and display areas appropriate as a permanent home for the Field Collection;
- To provide a quiet area for research and care of archival material and literature on the Field Collection
- To provide exhibition space for changing temporary exhibitions;
- To provide secure loading and art storage areas;
- To provide secure exhibition preparation areas;
- To provide a small area for viewing film and moving image;
- To provide reception, retail and art information areas;
- To provide a social space for meetings, lectures and events.
More information on the Mahara Gallery can be found here.