Regional Governance Review
The Wellington Mayoral Forum has been leading the Regional Governance Review. In June 2011, the Mayoral Forum contracted Martin Jenkins & Associates to analyse the 155 submissions gathered from across the region on the PricewaterhouseCoopers report, which was released in October 2010. Wellington City Council received feedback from 11 individuals and organisations.
- In March 2012, the Government announced its 'Better Local Government' reforms which included proposals to speed up and make more likely the amalgamation of councils.
- The councils in the Wellington region, including Kāpiti Coast District Council, are now considering their own responses to the Government's proposals.
- On 24 May 2012, Kāpiti Coast District Council discussed the options for regional governance and as a result we are consulting with the district's residents on five potential options for change regarding how our district and the Wellington region is governed in the future. We would also like to hear any other options residents and ratepayers would like to have considered.
We sought public feedback on the report and submissions closed on 11 February 2011. The report, and feedback received, was discussed during public workshop on 24 March 2011.
The Council made recommendations for the Mayor to take to the Mayoral Forum on 1 April 2011. These recommendations related to the focus of the review and the need for the public to be fully involved in the review.
The Mayoral Forum contracted Martin Jenkins Ltd to analyse the 165 submissions gathered from across the region on the PricewaterhouseCoopers report in June 2011. A summary of submissions was prepared independtly by Martin Jenkins Ltd and reported back to the Mayoral Forum on 9 September 2011.
PricewaterhouseCoopers Governance Review, October 2010
All PDF links on this page open in a new window.
Wellington Region Councils - Governance Review Report (PDF, 70 pages, 1Mb)
- Preface (PDF, 2 pages, 50Kb)
- Executive Summary (PDF, 7 pages, 113Kb)
- Introduction (PDF, 2 pages, 26Kb)
- Setting the Context (PDF, 12 pages, 114Kb)
- Future Trends (PDF, 5 pages, 95Kb)
- Current State (PDF, 8 pages, 197Kb)
- Governance Issues (PDF, 10 pages, 95Kb)
- Opportunities (PDF, 3 pages, 25Kb)
- Governance Options (PDF, 6 pages, 86Kb)
- Conclusions and Next Steps (PDF, 2 pages, 25Kb)
- Appendix A: Restrictions (PDF, 1 page, 14Kb)
- Appendix B: London Spatial Plan (PDF, 1 page, 61Kb)
- Appendix C: Council financial and Statistical Information (PDF, 5 pages, 181Kb)
- Appendix D: External Stakeholders Interviewed (PDF, 2 pages, 62Kb)
- Appendix E: Bibliography (PDF, 2 pages, 22Kb)
- Wellington City Council (WCC) discussion document - 10 May 2012 (PDF, 17 pages, 421Kb)
- WCC Report - Regional Governance Options (PDF, 10 pages, 88Kb)
- Kāpiti Coast District Council resolutions list from Council Meeting - 12 April 2012 (PDF, 1 page, 47Kb)
- Letter of invitation to joint GWRC review panel LG Reform 27 March 2012 (PDF, 14 pages, 1Mb)
- Local Government NZ (LGNZ) Response to announcement of local government reform (PDF, 2 pages, 120Kb)
- Media Release - Minister Smith 19 March 2012 (PDF, 1 page, 29Kb)
- Better Local Government Work Programme (PDF, 16 pages, 1Mb)
- Greater Wellington Regional Council (GWRC) Councillors Proposals for local government reform in the Wellington Region (PDF, 18 pages, 146Kb)
Local Government Reform
Regional Amenities Review
Council Meeting - 12 April 2012: Greater Wellington Regional Council - Independent Review Panel invitation
Media Release - Council rejects partnering with Wellington Regional Council on local government reform.