Council optimistic as Coastlands Aquatic Centre talks continue
Tuesday 26 February 2013
More subcontractors are expected to be back at work on the Coastlands Aquatic Centre site next week after successful negotiations with the Receivers and Council.
Protracted negotiations have been going on between the parties since news of Mainzeal’s collapse earlier this month, which brought work to a halt on the aquatic centre, along with 40 Mainzeal sites around the country.
Chief Executive Pat Dougherty says Council is now assisting Receivers, PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC), with detailed negotiations with subcontractors and good progress is being made.
“Council doesn’t have a direct relationship with the contractors but PwC asked us to be part of the negotiation progress with some key contractors to speed things along. We are getting real traction now and I am optimistic we are getting close to a resolution we can all live with.”
Mr Dougherty says for this reason Council has agreed to give PwC more time to complete the negotiations.
“These are complex talks that require goodwill and compromise on behalf of all parties. Because things seem to be moving in the right direction we are happy to wait a little longer for a result.
“By next week we’re aiming to be in a position whereby all parties understand what is required to complete the contract and we can confidently expect to see more work on the site.”
Meanwhile work on the Ngahina Street realignment and car park are progressing well. Lights are being installed on Kāpiti Road to facilitate entry to the aquatic centre and increase safety for pedestrians.