What's On

Kāpiti Coast Airport

Te Reo

 

Location: 60 Toru Road, Paraparaumu

Kapiti Coast Airport was formerly known as Paraparaumu Aerodrome.

Rongotai was designated Wellington’s main airport in 1934. It was required to have an alternative airport for emergency use, and Paraparaumu was selected in 1938.  Completed in 1939, it was used by the military during the World War II.

From 1947–1959 Paraparaumu was New Zealand’s busiest airport.  The National Airways Corporation (NAC) had relocated there when Rongotai was closed for upgrading to international standards.

The airport received two royal visits by HM Queen Elizabeth II and HRH the Duke of Edinburgh, flying in on 9 January 1954, and flying out on 16 January 1954.

NAC operations were relocated back to Rongotai in 1959, and Paraparaumu reverted to general aviation use.

Paraparaumu airport was sold in 2006 to new private owners led by Sir Noel Robinson, and the facilities were upgraded.  On 24 October 2011, the newly-renamed Kapiti Coast Airport was opened for business.

Airport flight information services are managed from the Control Tower, which provides a Flight Information Service. The Control Tower was built in 1947 and is registered as a Category II Historic Place. It has become a Paraparaumu landmark.

Photo gallery

Click the thumbnail to enlarge the image. 

Download a brochure

Click on a link below to download or print a copy of each heritage trail brochure.

Ōtaki and Te Horo 
Waikanae 
Paraparaumu 
Paekākāriki 

Related links

www.marinenz.com 
Museums

Supporters of the Kāpiti Coast Heritage Trail

Te Whakaminenga o Kāpiti
Kapiti Pakeke Lions
Kapiti Historical Society
Otaki Historical Society