Your Council


We're now offering an online service for building consent applications, making it faster and easier to apply. The service is provided by GoShift, an initative involving more than 20 councils across the country and supported by the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment.

Apply online now

Council's Building team can help you with a range of building needs and requirements including:

  • building consent applications and amendments
  • project information memoranda (PIMs)
  • building and plumbing inspections
  • code compliance certificate applications
  • compliance schedules and building warrants of fitness

You can access application forms, checklists and building guides online, or pick up paper copies at Council Services Centres. 

You can make a building consent application online, by post, or hand deliver a hard copy to one of our service centres (link to list of service centres) or at the Council building in Paraparaumu.

Building Legislation

All construction, alteration, demolition and maintenance of new and existing buildings in New Zealand are subject to the processes and regulations set out in:

  • Building (Consent Authorities) Amendment Act 2007
  • Building Act 2004 and Building Amendment Act 2005
  • Building Regulations 1992, including the Building Code
  • Building regulations related to the Building Act 2004.

Building Performance on the Ministry of Business Innovation and Employment (MBIE) website contains all information related to building compliance.

As Kāpiti's local authority the Council administers, enforces and records all day-to-day building activities.

Other relevant legislation

The Building Act applies only to the physical aspects of building work. Building proposals may also be affected by other legislation such as:

  • Resource Management Act 1991 - planning and resource management.
  • Health and Safety in Employment Act 1992 - employee issues.

Building Performance, Ministry of Business Innovation and Employment (MBIE)

Building Performance manages the building control system throughout New Zealand. Its website details important compliance information and provides helpful services, education and information for anyone involved in building activities.

Earthquake information for residential property owners

Kāpiti Coast District Council has been working with Wellington City Council to extend its Quakecheck Home Assessment Service to residential property owners on the Kāpiti Coast.  The service will enable you to assess how safe your home would be in the event of a significant earthquake and advise any actions necessary to make it safe.  To learn more about the service visit our Quakecheck your house page here.

Earthquake damage

The results of an earthquake can sometimes mean damage to our homes and/or property.  If you have suffered damage to your home, please contact your insurance company in the first instance.

Earthquake prone buildings

In August 2013, Maurice Williamson, Minister for Building and Construction, announced proposed changes to the way earthquake prone buildings are managed.

Legislation to regulate these changes - the Earthquake-Prone Buildings Amendment Bill 2013 - was introduced into parliament in December 2013.

The following changes are proposed in response to the Canterbury Earthquakes Royal Commission's recommendations, and feedback to the Local Government and Environment Select Committee:

  • National register of earthquake prone buildings.
  • A requirement for local Councils to assess all buildings other than single and duplex residential buildings within five years of the legislation coming in to place.
  • A requirement for buildings that have been identified as earthquake prone to be strengthened or demolished within 15 years of assessment.
  • Priority buildings to have a shorter timeframe for assessment and resolution of half the five-year timeframe above. This will be subject to a special consultative process.

Council plans to assess all commercial, industrial and school buildings over the next five years. Residential buildings that are two storeys or higher and contain more than three separate dwellings will also be included. This work will be undertaken according to Council's Earthquake Prone Dangerous and Insanitary Buildings Policy 2006 and the proposed legislation.

This work, which will be the first stage in identifying earthquake-prone buildings, will involve assessing approximately 1500 buildings across the Kāpiti Coast district. To do this we will use a best-practice process developed by the New Zealand Society of Earthquake Engineers. This involves using information we already have on file, obtaining more information from property owners if we need to, and using professional engineers.

Leaky homes

Residencies that have weathertightness issues are often called ‘leaky homes’.  If you own a leaky home, you have options to repair it and may be eligible for funding to help with the costs.

Specific criteria are set down for repairing your home through the Weathertight Home Resolution Services Act and the Financial Assistance Package (FAP) scheme, for example showing that the area in need of repair has been built or altered in the last 10 years.

Your options for progressing a claim are to:

  • repair with the help of the Financial Assistance Package (claims need to be at the 'notice to proceed' stage by 23 July 2016)
  • pursue a claim in the Weathertight Homes Tribunal or High Court.

When you lodge a claim your local council will be notified.  The claim will be recorded on your property’s Land Information Memorandum (LIM) and may be disclosed to third parties, if requested, in accordance with The Official Information Act.

Information on options, eligibility and guides to testing and proceeding with claims are available on the Weathertight Services section of the MBIE website.


If you’re the owner of a coastal property and thinking of constructing a seawall, please get in touch with us early on in your planning.  You may need to apply for a building consent and/or resource consent for your work.

Council resource consent and Building team will work with you to clarify what consents you need.  The first step is a meeting to discuss your specific situation.

Note that in addition to Kāpiti Coast District Council consent(s), you may also need a Greater Wellington Regional Council coastal permit.