Your Council

Restricted building work

For more information about licensed building practitioners, see:

Licensed Building Practitioners Scheme

To find out what is meant by restricted building work, see:

Restricted Building Work


While Schedule 1 of the Building Act provides for some exemptions from building consent, all work must still comply with other legislation, including:

  • Building Code
  • Resource Management Act 1991
  • Plumbers, Gasfitters, and Drainlayers Act 1976
  • Electricity Act 1992
  • Health Act 1956
  • relevant bylaws.

When you apply for a building consent, you must decide whether or not the work that is exempt is to be included as part of the consent application. If it is not included, that work will not be inspected or receive a Code Compliance Certificate.