Your Council

Resource Consents

The District Plan contains rules about different types of activities in different parts of the district. Anything not permitted by the Plan requires a resource consent, which will be for either a land use consent or a subdivision consent.

On 22 November 2017, the Council publicly notified the Decisions version of the Proposed Plan.

This replaces the Proposed District Plan Notified version. At this time both the Operative District Plan 1999 and the Proposed District Plan Decisions Version 2017 have legal effect.

When determining an application for resource consent, the Council is required to have regard to objectives and policies and rules in both Plans.


Any development, subdivision or other proposed use of a site must be assessed against the Council's: 

District Plan.

Resource Legislation Amendment Act 2017

Residential rules

Resource consent process


Resource Consents Issued Recently (Last 3 months)

December 2017

January 2018

February 2018


Resource Consents Received Recently (Last 3 months)

December 2017

January 2018

February 2018


Applying for a resource consent

Design review meetings (pre-application meetings)

Application forms - including Temporary Event Management Plan forms


Public notices  

Monitoring resource consents


Track our regulatory perfomance


Resource Legislation Amendment Act 2017

A recent review of resource legislation has resulted in the creation of the Resource Legislation Amendment Act 2017 (RLAA) and will result in close to 40 amendments to the Resource Management Act 1991 (RMA). This is most comprehensive package of reforms to the RMA since its inception over 25 years ago. Some of these amendments had legal effect from the day after Royal Assent (18 April 2017) and others have legal effect from 18 October 2017.

The changes are aimed at providing stronger national direction, a more responsive planning process, a streamlined resource consent process and better alignment with other legislation. All applications/requests received on or after 18 October 2017 are subject to the amended RMA. 

The amendments introduce a new fast track resource consent process for certain types of activities and two exemption processes. There are also amendments to sections in regards to subdividing land subject to a natural hazard, limits on what applications can be notified (unless special circumstances apply), limiting the scope for appeals, reviews of consents and a new provision for offsetting to be considered when assessing applications against s104 of the RMA. 

Section 106 allows Council to refuse subdivision consents in certain circumstances. This power is not changing; however, the wording of the section is changing to be in line with the new Matter of National Importance – ‘the management of significant risks from natural hazards’. To determine whether there is a significant risk from a natural hazard, subdivision applications will need to include a combined assessment of:  

a)    the likelihood of the natural hazards occurring whether individually or in combination); and

b)    the material damage to land in respect of which the consent is sought, other land or structures that would result from natural hazards; and

c)    any likely subsequent use of the land in respect of which the consent is sought that would accelerate, worsen, or result in material damage of the kind referred to in paragraph (b).


Natural hazard under section 2 of the RMA means ‘any atmospheric or earth or water related occurrence (including earthquake, tsunami, erosion, volcanic and geothermal activity, landslip, subsidence, sedimentation, wind, drought, fire or flooding) the action of which adversely affects or may adversely affect human life, property, or other aspects of the environment’.

Amendments have been made to section 95 and the subsequent sections which apply when Council is determining if notification is required for an application. The Minister for the Environment has new powers to preclude certain activities from being notified (publicly or limited) unless special circumstances apply. The current activities that are precluded from public notification are:

  • applications for residential activities if they are restricted discretionary or discretionary;
  • controlled activities (also precluded from limited notification);
  • applications for subdivision if they are restricted discretionary or discretionary; and
  • boundary activities (as defined in the RMA).

If you believe the amendments may impact a development or activity you wish to undertake, please contact the Council Duty Planner or your independent Planning Advisor for advice. More information about the RLAA and RMA amendments can be found on the Ministry for the Environment website.


Residential rules

Activities that may require a resource consent are, for example:

  • building a new deck close to a boundary
  • planning a new multi-level apartment building
  • setting up a work-from-home business
  • subdividing a property


Resource Consent process

Previously, Resource Consent applications took 20 working days, provided all the necessary information is included and your proposed project does not need to be notified. An application would follow one of three procedures; non-notified, limited notified or publicly notified. The amendments to the RMA as outlined earlier on this page introduce three new processes which are described below and will be available to Applicants from 18 October 2017:

Fast Track Resource Consent Applications:

Where a land use resource consent has been applied for in respect for a controlled activity, Council must process and issue a decision within 10 working days. Council has no discretion to decline controlled activity consents. There are currently 17 land use controlled activities in the Operative District Plan; this may change when decisions are released on the Proposed District Plan. The most common applications received for land use controlled activities are for home occupations and relocated buildings. Applicants in this instance are receiving a priority service, although they can opt out and pay a lower deposit fee if they wish.

Deemed Permitted Boundary Activity:

Where a rule is breached in relation to a boundary, such as a setback or height in relation to boundary, an Applicant can request Council issue a written notice deeming the activity to be permitted. When a written notice is issued, no resource consent is required. A request form for the non-compliances with the District Plan along with the written approval from all owners of the affected boundary and plans detailing the encroachment must be supplied. A deemed permitted boundary activity cannot be applied for when non-compliance is along a public boundary such as a road or reserve. Council does not have to undertake an effects assessment and if all the information is supplied (there is no ability to ask for further information), must issue a written notice deeming the activity to be permitted within 10 working days.

Deemed Permitted Marginal or Temporary Exemptions:

Council has the discretion to determine if effects of a proposed activity are marginal or temporary and issue a written notice which exempts the requirement for a resource consent. There is no formal application process for public participation as Council determines what is marginal or temporary and there is no working day timeframe to assess marginal or temporary effects and make a determination. These exemptions are for situations in which the effects of an otherwise permitted activity are no different in character, intensity, or scale than the permitted activity and the adverse effects on any person are less than minor. Sufficient information must be supplied for Council to be able to determine what the effects are and if they are marginal or temporary. Council must issue a written notice if the activity is considered to meet the requirements of the RMA. Written notices lapse within five years unless given effect to prior.

Applying for consent:

You, or someone representing you - such as a builder, architect, surveyor or planning consultant - must complete a land use resource consent application form, subdivision resource consent application form or request for deemed permitted boundary activity form, and provide it, together with all the relevant information requirements and take, post it, or email it to the Council's Resource Consents team – The appropriate fee must be paid when lodging your application.


Design review meetings (pre-application meetings)

At a confidential pre-application meeting, you can have a discussion with a resource consents planner, and other technical officers (if relevant) before you submit your resource consent application.

We can help you through the resource consent process, discuss any potential issues and review your proposal before you finalise it.  This meeting may save you time and money later.  There is no fee for a pre-application meeting.

A pre-application meeting is highly beneficial for more complex projects, such as a large development or multi-unit housing.  Other projects, such as building a new deck, may only require an over-the-counter visit with the Duty Planner.  Just drop into the Civic Centre reception and ask to speak with the Duty Planner.

Contact us early on and we can advise if a pre-application meeting is for you.


If you’re the owner of a coastal property and thinking of constructing a seawall, please get in touch with us early on in your planning.  You may need to apply for a building consent and/or resource consent for your work.
Council resource consent and building control staff will work with you to clarify what consents you need.  The first step is a meeting to discuss your specific situation.
Note that in addition to Kāpiti Coast District Council consent(s), you may also need a Greater Wellington Regional Council coastal permit – see ‘Coastal permits’ in information sheet below.

Find out more in our information sheet:


Developing or building on land with ponding or drainage issues?

Much of the Kāpiti Coast is low-lying and subject to flooding, ponding or drainage issues.  We need to pay careful attention to how we develop and build in these areas, to make sure properties are protected from hazards, and that developments don't make flooding or ponding worse for others

The information sheet below provides general information on these issues.  We strongly advise you to talk with us about your specific situation early in your planning, and that you consult your own professional advisers.

Find out more in our information sheet:


Application/Request Forms

  • Land use applications

Resource Consent Application Form (including Fast Track Applications) - Land Use

Resource Consent Written Approval Form - Land Use

Land use application guidelines

  • Subdivision applications

Resource Consent Application Form - Subdivision

Resource Consent Written Approval Form - Subdivision

Subdivision application guidelines

  • Temporary Event Application Form and Management Plan

Please note: If an application does not contain all the necessary information, it will be returned for completion before processing begins.

Temporary Event Application Form and Management Plan 

Find out what you need to know about planning events on our Events page.

  • Deemed Permitted Boundary Activities

Request Form for a Deemed Permitted Boundary Activity

Written Approval Form for a Deemed Permited Boundary Activity

  • Approval for a Deemed Permitted Marginal or Temporary Activity breach of a rule(s) in a Plan or National Environmental Standard

Request form for a Deemed Permitted Marginal or Temporary Exemption

Please note:  There is no formal ability to apply for a marginal or temporary exemption notice and the Council has the discretion to approve or decline exemptions.

  • Approval for a Yard Encroachment (of a Building)

Building Consent Written Approval Form for Yard Encroachment



There is a fee for processing applications, and a deposit must be paid with your application.

Further cost may be incurred during processing, which are charged for after processing completion.  In addition, compliance monitoring fees may apply for supervision of land use consents.

Refer to the fee schedule for information on the current rates:

Notified resource consents

All recent publicly notified resource consents are listed below. 

There are also links to a copy of the public notice and submissions forms.

We are currently accepting submissions from the public on the following applications:

Location                                                           Date submissions close
No publicly notified consents  

The following applications have recently been publicly notified and the submissions period has now closed:

View notified resource consents here.

Public notices

Publicly notified resource consents are included in a public notice in the Kapiti Observer newspaper published weekly on Thursday.

Monitoring resource consents

We monitor subdivisions and land use activities that resource consents have been issued for.  We also investigate building work which may be breaching the District Plan rules by not having the necessary consents.  If you are concerned a development may not comply with the District Plan, contact the duty planner as soon as possible on 04 296 4700 or


We also take enforcement action when required. The Enforcement Policy 2014 provides general guidance on how compliance, enforcement and prosecution matters are dealt with by the council.