Adult Learners & Jobseekers
Libraries have a long tradition of providing resources and services for adults wanting to improve their reading and writing skills. We can also help you to get started on your path to employment.
The Kāpiti Coast District Libraries Adult Literacy Collection is intended for adults who need special materials in two major areas:
- Basic Literacy (adults new to reading)
- English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL).
The collection contains interesting fiction and non-fiction titles in simplified English. Book and audio sets are also available.
Adult Literacy Collections are located at our Paraparaumu, Ōtaki and Waikanae branches.
Also see Useful Adult Literacy links.
Are you looking for work, but don’t know how to get started or where to look? The library might not be the first place you think of, but it may surprise you.
Here are some of the services we offer:
- Stepping Up classes that cover basic computer skills, such as, setting up an email account, organising files, creating a CV and using search engines
- Free WiFi and internet access to search job websites and upload CVs
- Printing, copying and faxing facilities available for a small charge.
- Daily and weekly newspapers to browse the situations vacant
- PressReader to access thousands of newspapers and magazines from around the world.
Each library also has a wide range of books to help you with a variety of topics:
- Interview skills and techniques,
- Interview questions and preparation
- Creating a CV
- Aptitude and other tests
- Starting your own business and managing finances.
Don’t be afraid to ask for a little help!
Your Librarian may not be a Career Advisor, but they can help point you in the right direction .