Friends of the Library
Friends of the Kāpiti Coast District Libraries is a non-profit organisation and one of the longest lasting and most active library Friends groups in New Zealand.
Our aims are to
- support the district libraries and librarians
- represent the interests of library users and librarians by making submissions to local and central government
- ensure that a free library service is maintained
- support local writers by continuing to build and maintain the Kāpiti Writes collection (this collection contains publications by Kāpiti writers)
- celebrate all forms of writing and books.
Our membership continues to grow and we welcome new members at any time. The Friends’ brochure with membership application form is available at each district library.
By joining Friends of the Libraries with the modest annual subscription of $10, you will be directly involved in supporting the district’s libraries, librarians and the community of 42,000 active borrowers.
Over the last ten years Friends have raised over $80,000 which has enabled us to:
- support library projects such as the children's Summer Reading Programme and
- fund the purchase of:
- books for children and young people
- artworks to enhance library spaces
- a sound system
- a wheelchair for the convenience of library users
- talking books
- books for the Kāpiti Writes collection
- bags of books for book groups
- regular newsletters with library updates
- invitations to events such as book launches
- opportunities to contribute to discussions on library-related matters
- opportunities to meet guest speakers