Friends of the Library
Our aims are to
- help ensure that library services remain free
- support the district libraries, librarians and local writers
- represent the interests of readers and librarians by making submissions to local and central government
Our membership continues to grow and we welcome new members at any time. The Friends’ brochure with membership application form is available at each district library.
By joining Friends of the Libraries with the modest annual subscription of $10, you will be directly involved in supporting the district’s libraries, librarians and the community of 30,000 active borrowers.
Over the last ten years Friends have raised over $75,000 which has enabled us to:
- support library projects such as the children's Summer Reading Programme and
- fund the purchase of: books for children and young people, artworks to enhance library spaces, a sound system, a wheelchair for the convenience of library users, talking books and adult literacy resources.
- regular newsletters with library updates
- invitations to events such as book launches
- member's badge to wear when you visit the library
- opportunities to contribute to discussions on library-related matters
- opportunities to meet guest speakers