Poetry competition guidelines and conditions of entry
- We have chosen the word “together” as a starting point for this year’s poem. The poem can be written in any form.
- Poets are invited to freely interpret this theme.
- This competition is free and open to all users of the Kāpiti Coast District Libraries.
- Employees of Kāpiti Coast District Libraries are not eligible to enter.
- Each poem should be authored by a single person.
- Each poem must be an original work, unpublished and not already accepted for publication.
- Copyright of poem submitted will remain with the author, but Kāpiti Coast District Libraries reserve the right to publish any entry in an e-book, print or on the library website and Facebook page.
- Each person can submit one poem in the competition.
- The poem should not exceed 10 lines and a title is optional.
- The competition opens on 1 June 2019 and closes at 5pm on 30 June 2019.
- Entries are submitted online through the Kāpiti Coast District Libraries website. Handwritten entries will not be accepted.
- All submitters will receive confirmation of receipt of their entry by email. The parent/guardian of children who enter will receive an email notification that their child has entered the competition.
- Once entered, poems cannot be withdrawn from the competition.
- Alterations cannot be made to poems once entered.
- Entries will not be returned.
- Poem must not contain offensive or derogatory language.
- A panel of judges will determine the winners based on theme, creativity, clarity, style, form and meaning.
- All entries will be judged anonymously. The entrant’s name must not appear on the poem itself.
- The judges’ decision will be final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- Prizes will be awarded to the top three entries in the following categories: children aged 6-12 years; teens aged 13-18 years; adults aged 19+ years.
- Entries into the competition can be in English or Te Reo Māori.
- Winners will be announced on Friday 23 August 2019 at the Open Mic Night noted below.
- The submission of your poem will be taken as indicating acceptance of the above conditions.
Open Mic Night
- Join us to celebrate National Poetry Day on Friday 23 August 2019 at Paraparaumu Library from 5.30 – 6.30pm.
- We will mark the day with an open mic session, where anyone is welcome to read their poem to a live audience, and hear poems read aloud from other poets.
- This will be followed by an announcement of the poetry competition prize winners, and presentation of prizes. The winning poems will be read aloud also.
Library Opening Hours Find out all you need to know about where our libraries are and their opening hours. Library Catalogue Search the library catalogue, place reserves, renew your loans and suggest titles to be added to the collection. Mau Mahara Kāpiti View our historical photograph collection online. Browse and order from over 2000 images of local people and places. Pressreader You can access thousands of newspapers and magazines from around the world! What's on at the library All libraries hold regular, and special events for all ages. Check here for details. Arts There are many arts events of all kinds throughout the year. Listings for these can be found in Arts Events & Exhibitions below, in the local press, on the radio, and on events website.