In an emergency dial 111 for:
- fire - including Rural Fire
Ring this number if lives or property are at risk
Council emergency contact details:
04 296 4700 or 0800 486 486
Other emergency contact details:
- Electra 0800 567 876
- Gas 0800 802 332
Floods are a common hazard in Kāpiti. A flood becomes dangerous when:
- the water's travelling very fast
- the water's very deep
- the flood water has risen very quickly
- the floodwater contains debris, such as trees and sheets of corrugated iron.
When a flood threatens
- Listen to your local radio station or visit our website.
- Move out of the flooded area or go to the nearest high ground.
During a flood
- Lift household items as high above the floor as possible.
- Don't attempt to drive or walk through floodwaters.
During and after floods, we may pump out flooded properties and sections. Assessment of flood damage is carried out our operations team, on a case-by-case basis, to determine if a stormwater network contributed to the flooding so the necessary maintenance carried out.
Cleaning up after a flood
Frequently asked questions
- Wellington Region Emergency Management Officelaunch
- Wellington Rural Fire Authoritylaunch
- NZ Ministry of Civil Defence & Emergency Management (CDEM)launch
- Neighbourhood Supportlaunch
- Earthquake Commission (EQC)launch
- Institure of Geological & Nuclear Sciences (GNS)launch
- National Institute of Water & Atmospheric Research (NIWA)launch
- The Meteorological Service of NZlaunch