WREMO - a new regional approach
The Wellington Region Emergency Management Office (WREMO - the W is silent like in write) manages Civil Defence Emergency Management services in support of the nine City, District, and Regional Councils of the Wellington region. This is important as disasters don't abide by territorial boundaries and many of our people live in one part of the region and work in another.
The shared approach to emergency management will enable our communities to be better prepared and will provide an ability to share resources to best effect.
WREMO is "home-based" in the earthquake-resistant Emergency Management building in Turnbull Street, Thorndon, Wellington, and another facility in Laings Road, Hutt City. The WREMO staff work throughout the region, operating from Emergency Management Offices at Porirua, Kāpiti, and Masterton.
Emergency Management provides two vital roles:
- building resilient communities, and
- building and maintaining the structures, systems and teams that will enable our community to respond and recover from disasters.
To find out more about WREMO and for information during an emergency, go to www.wremo.nz
For information on how to be more prepared for an emergency, go to www.GetPrepared.nz
- Wellington Region Emergency Management Officelaunch
- Fire Emergency New Zealandlaunch
- NZ Ministry of Civil Defence & Emergency Management (CDEM)launch
- Neighbourhood Supportlaunch
- Earthquake Commission (EQC)launch
- Institure of Geological & Nuclear Sciences (GNS)launch
- National Institute of Water & Atmospheric Research (NIWA)launch
- The Meteorological Service of NZlaunch
In an emergency, dial 111, for:
- Fire - including Rural Fire
Ring this number if lives or property are at risk.
Council Emergency Contact Details:
04 296 4700 or 0800 486 486
Other emergency contact details:
- Electra: 0800 567 876
- Gas: 0800 802 332