Managing Licensed Premises

Find out how to apply for or renew a manager's certificate and access information on training providers. 

At all times alcohol is being sold to the public in or from a licensed premise a certified Manager must be on duty and responsible for compliance with the Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2012

Applying for a Manager's Certificate

The following application forms must be completed if you are applying for a managers certificate or the renewal of a managers certificate.

Temporary or Acting Manager

If you are appointing a temporary manager due to staff changes, or an acting manager to cover staff leave, the notification of management change form must be completed and sent to the District Licensing Committee and Police.

If you are notifying a temporary manager you will need to complete form 17 - Application for Manager's Certificate within 2 days. 

Training Requirements

In order to apply for a managers certificate for the first time you must have completed your Licence Controller Qualification (LCQ).  A list of training providers is available for download or print from the link below.

Licence Controller Qualification - Registered NZQA Trainers

Prior to January 2017, if you completed your LCQ before December 2013 you needed to complete a Bridging Testas well.  If you do have both of these certificates you can apply for your manager's certificate by including them with your application. For copies of, or any other information, concerning LCQ or Bridging Test certificates please contact Service IQ at

If you gained your LCQ before December 2013 but did not complete the Bridging Test before it was withdrawn by Service IQ in January 2017, you will need to undertake LCQ training again, and gain a new certificate.  Please refer to the list of training providers mentioned above.

Liquor Licensing Bureau's Service Guide

Although managers are required to hold a qualification, general staff are not. This can leave staff ill-equipped to deal with tricky situations.

You can access the training needed at where there is a free guide with tips and techniques for all liquor service staff in the following areas:

  • the object of the Act
  • conditions of licences
  • dealing with minors
  • identifying and dealing with intoxicated persons
  • server intervention and substitution techniques.

Health Promotion Agency (HPA)

On 1 July 2012 HPA took over all functions previously undertaken by the Alcohol Advisory Council (ALAC).

The HPA's work to reduce alcohol-related harm is comprehensive in its approach and includes work to fulfil its statutory function to provide alcohol-related advice and research.

Supporting the successful implementation of the new Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2012 is the main focus of the HPA's current advisory work with regulatory agencies, local government, licensed premises, alcohol industry groups, community groups and others.

The HPA is also updating and revising resources and online tools to reflect recent legislative change.  For more information about the online tools and resources visit

Related Links

Alcohol Licensing Fees 
Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2012 
Health Promotion Agency website