Visits and Workshops
Booking a neighbourhood visit or workshop with the green gardener is easy, simply contact the Council.
Booking a neighbourhood visit or workshop with the green gardener is easy, simply contact the Council. The visits and workshops are free.
Get together five friends or neighbours and invite around the Green Gardener for a garden walkabout, or to talk about how to get the most from your patch.
The Green Gardener also provides more formal 2-hour workshops. Each workshop requires a minimum of 5 people to attend.
Workshop topics include:
- Nutrient recycling (compost, bokashi, worm farming and liquid manure)
- Building a biodigester: What do you do with pernicious weeds that can't be composted (like wandering willie, convolvulus, oxalis and kikuyu)? Find out how to liquefy them and transform them into mineral-rich fertiliser using a simple double-barrelled bio-digester made from two plastic drums
- DIY rainwater systems
- No dig gardening
- Irrigation - how best to water your garden
- Crop rotation and companion planting
- Seed sowing
- Basic permaculture design
- Basic seed saving (best in autumn)
- Green manures, mulch and no-dig (usually autumn)
- Fruit pruning/companions (winter)
- Top ten herbs for Kāpiti
- Plants for free from seeds and cuttings