Trade Waste Management

Businesses that produce oil, grease or other liquid waste may need to have a trade waste consent.

Trade waste consent evaluation

Trade waste is controlled by laws to help protect drainage system treatment plants, which are essential city assets.

If your business is producing more liquid waste than that of a large household, you may need a trade waste consent. 

The Council grants consents on a case-by-case basis. Call the Council to discuss your situation with the Trade Waste Officer.

If it sounds like your business may need a consent, the Officer will assess your situation by looking at site plans, and the type and volume of liquid waste. Chemical analysis may also be involved. The Council officer's evaluation will show whether or not you need a consent.

The decision as to whether a consent is needed can take 20 working days. However, assessment and evaluation of the conditions to be set up for a consent can take a number of months. Temporary consents may be granted in such cases.

Apply for a consent

To apply for a consent, complete the following form and return it to the Trade Waste Officer:

Application for Consent to Discharge Trade Waste

All enquiries should go to the Trade Waste Officer.


The trade waste brochures are available for download or print from the links below.

Trade Waste Consent Fees

View the Trade Waste Consent fee schedule here.

Trade Waste Consent Categories

Permitted Consent
If your trade waste is similar to domestic sewage and provided that the volume discharged is acceptable, then your trade waste will be classed as a "Permitted Discharge" and your business will be issued a "Permitted Consent to Discharge Trade Waste".

Conditional Consent
Trade wastes that exceed the characteristics of domestic sewage are considered "Conditionally Permitted" provided that they do not have any prohibited characteristics. Your business would be issued a "Conditional Consent to Discharge Trade Waste" with conditions associated to the Consent.  Conditions may be to the effect that your business adequately maintains a treatment unit such as a grease trap.

Trade Waste Bylaw

The Trade Waste Bylaw allows businesses to dispose of trade waste to the sewer system provided the trade waste complies with the Bylaw and that the premises are registered and inspected. There are costs associated with this.

The aim of the bylaw is to protect the community’s assets and prevent problems. The bylaw specifies that certain standards of quality are met by each commercial discharger limiting the amount of solids, fats, chemicals, etc that are discharged.

The Council works with all trade waste dischargers on the Kapiti Coast to implement the bylaw. If we can help you understand the bylaw and its implications please contact our Trade Waste Officer.

Related Links

Commercial Activity Customer Focus Group