Council's Building team can help you with a range of building needs and requirements including:

  • building consent applications and amendments
  • project information memoranda (PIMs)
  • building and plumbing inspections
  • code compliance certificate applications
  • compliance schedules and building warrants of fitness

You can access application forms, checklists and building guides online, or pick up paper copies at Council Services Centres. 

You can make a building consent application online, by post, or hand deliver a hard copy to one of our service centres or at the Council building in Paraparaumu.

Apply online now

Building Legislation

All construction, alteration, demolition and maintenance of new and existing buildings in New Zealand are subject to the processes and regulations set out in the Building Act 2004.

Building Performance on the Ministry of Business Innovation and Employment (MBIE) website contains all information related to building compliance.

As Kāpiti's local authority the Council administers, enforces and records all day-to-day building activities.

Other relevant legislation

The Building Act applies only to the physical aspects of building work. Building proposals may also be affected by other legislation such as:

  • Resource Management Act 1991 - planning and resource management.
  • Health and Safety in Employment Act 1992 - employee issues.

Building Performance, Ministry of Business Innovation and Employment (MBIE)

Building Performance manages the building control system throughout New Zealand. Its website details important compliance information and provides helpful services, education and information for anyone involved in building activities.


If you’re the owner of a coastal property and thinking of constructing a seawall, please get in touch with us early on in your planning.  You may need to apply for a building consent and/or resource consent for your work.

Council resource consent and Building team will work with you to clarify what consents you need.  The first step is a meeting to discuss your specific situation.

Note that in addition to Kāpiti Coast District Council consent(s), you may also need a Greater Wellington Regional Council coastal permit.