Temporary events like fairs and festivals help make our District a vibrant place to live or visit.

A temporary event is allowed if it meets all of the controlled and permitted activity rules and standards of our District Plan Appeals Version, is for up to three consecutive days in duration between 7am and 10pm Monday to Thursday, 7am to 11pm Friday or Saturday, and 8:30am to 10pm on Sunday and occurs no more than once in any twelve-month period.

If you’re unsure about what you need to do to prepare for an event, get in touch with us early and we’ll be happy to help you work it out. 

Our duty planner can help you navigate the rules and regulations and make sure there are no last minute surprises or delays. For example, you might need to get a resource consent or alcohol licence, or manage transport, building, or public health requirements.

Temporary event application form and management plan

Organisers should submit an event management plan to our duty planner six weeks before their planned event.


This form includes details around:

  • Impacts on roads or parking - If you think your event might impact traffic or parking or require a road closure, get in touch with us so we can help you complete the required forms
  • Noise - If your event could be noisy, go on late at night or for an extended period of time, get in touch with us so we can talk through any steps you might need to take to comply with the District Plan rules.
  • Signage - There are rules in the District Plan relating to signage to advertise your event on local roads and State Highways. There's more information on this in the form and management plan.

Food at events

Preparing and selling foods at events with limited kitchen facilities has some risks and if you're an event organiser and/or a stall holder then you’ll need to complete an application form. You’ll find what you need to know about food safety guidelines for organisers and food vendors on our food stall page, along with food safety tips and guidance on how to comply with the conditions of your food stall approval.


Alcohol at events

If you're selling or supplying alcohol at your event you’ll need to apply for an alcohol licence. You’ll need to fill in an application for the special licence form for the types of licences that you want:

  • On-site special licence that allows the sale or supply of alcohol that will be consumed at the event, and/or
  • Off-site special licence allows the sale or supply of alcohol that will be taken away and consumed at another place. This licence also allows free samples to be supplied.

Application for Special Licence (print and write appication form or type-in application form) – complete and submit along with the required fee at least 20 working days before the event (there are some exceptions to this timeframe, for example for a funeral, but not for pre-planned events).

Waste management at events

Check out tips and resources for planning a zero waste event.

Community venues

Council has a number of buildings available for hire. These buildings provide suitable venues for residents to meet for leisure, recreation, sport, cultural, social, and educational activities.

Find out about our range of venues on our Community venues page.

Council land

If you want to find out about arranging a temporary event on Council land, please get in touch, as landowner consent will be needed. Call 0800 486 486 and talk to the Recreation Facilities Coordinator for further information and advice.