Differential Rating System

Rates are calculated using a differential rating system that is based on land use.

The system first classifies a property as either a base differential (includes residential properties) or commercial, industrial and business differential.

The property is further classified by a billing category to indicate whether it receives targeted rates, a rates remission or is fully or partially non-rateable.


A differential system has been applied to the rural area to reflect its lower population density and demand for services. The differential is:

Urban Rating Area Percentage of Urban Rate
 U1 All rating units. 100%
Rural Rating Area Percentage of Urban Rate
R1 Rural Rating Units less than 50 hectares. 38%

R2 Rural Rating Units equal to or greater than 50 hectares plus (Rating Units less than 50 hectares where a combination of these properties total greater than 50 hectares and form part of one farming operation).


R3 Rural Village Rating Differential Units as identified in the Rural Village Differential Rating Area maps.


These differentials are applied to the General Rate.

Rating Unit

The Rating Unit is determined by the Valuer General. It is generally a property which has one Certificate of Title but can include two or more Certificate of Titles or part Certificate of Titles, dependant on whether the land is owned by the same person or persons and is used jointly as a single unit and is contiguous.

Separately Used or Inhabited Part of a Rating Unit (SUIP)

Separately Used or Inhabited Part includes any part of the rating unit separately used or inhabited by the owner or any other person who has the right to use or inhabit, that part by virtue of a tenancy, lease, licence or other agreement.

At a minimum, the land or premises intended to form the separately used or inhabited part of the rating unit must be capable of actual habitation, or actual use by person for purposes of conducting a business.

For the avoidance of doubt, a rating unit that has only one use (for example, it does not have separate parts or is vacant land) is treated as being one separately used or inhabited part.

In relation to motels, hotels, hostels, lodges, camping grounds. Licensed hotels and taverns, separately used or inhabited parts of a rating unit includes the following situations:

Where a commercial business which provides part of their rating unit

  • for separate use as an entertainment area or for conference activities and/or any type of residential accommodation by virtue of an agreement requiring payment of a fee,
  • for accommodation (with or without fixed cooking and food preparation facilities) and
  • for parking areas for caravans/mobile homes with an electric power source and access to washing/toilet facilities.

Billing Categories

Rates are calculated using a differential rating system that is based on land use. The billing categories are as follows:  Wastewater Rate Differential Categories For the purposes of certain wastewater rates the following differential categories apply:...