How and where to vote - STV
Local government elections are by postal/drop-off vote using the Single Transferable Vote (STV) system.
If you're a Kāpiti Coast District resident or a ratepayer who lives elsewhere, now is the time to have your say on how the District moves ahead. This is your chance to vote for who you’d like to represent you and the ward you live in.
STV voting is easy – you number your preferred candidates for each position starting with 1 - so it’s a number not a tick.
You don’t need to number every box – just the candidates you prefer in the order you prefer.
- Put your vote in the prepaid envelope and return it by:
- FREEPOST at any NZ Post mailbox or post office by 8 October.
- popping into a Service Centre in Paraparaumu, Waikanae or Otaki - or one of our libraries which includes Paekakariki Library - during normal opening hours.
- taking it to the electoral office at the Civic Building at 175 Rimu Road Paraparaumu.
- visiting the mobile voting station when it comes to your town between 8-10 October - find out the times and locations on the election timetable page.
Voting forms are due in your mailbox by 25 September if you're enrolled on the electoral roll. If they don’t arrive call our electoral officer on 0800 486 486. Voting closes Saturday 12 October at midday.
Do you commute to Wellington? You can vote there from Monday 7 October at:
• Wellington Railway Station, Bunny Street, Wellington, in conjunction with all Wellington region’s local authorities (Note the times are during the main commuting hours at 6.30am – 9.30am and 4pm-6.30pm Monday 7 October 2019 to Friday 11 October 2019) and
• Wellington Regional Special Vote Hub, Wellington City Council, Arapaki Manners Library and Service Centre, 12 Manners Street, Wellington (hours of service generally Monday to Friday, 8am-5pm Monday 7 October 2019 to Friday 11 October 2019 - however additional hours of service will be made available Saturday 5 October and to noon Saturday 12 October).
Organising a special vote
Special votes are available to anyone who:
• enrolled late
• didn’t receive their voting documents
• has lost or damaged their voting documents
• is on the unpublished roll.
You can apply for a special vote during Council’s normal business hours from 20 September to midday 12 October by either:
- going to the Paraparaumu Library in Iver Trask Place or
- phoning the Council on 0800 486 486 and asking the Electoral Officer to send you special voting forms in the post.
Additional times for special voting in Paraparaumu Library:
In addition to normal business hours special voting will be available:
Thursday 3 October and Friday 4 October
5pm – 7.30pm
Saturday 5 October and Sunday 6 October
10am – 2pm
Thursday 10 October and Friday 11 October
5pm – 7.30pm
Saturday 12 October
10am – noon
• Special voting will be available at the Otaki Library on Saturday 5 October, and
• Wellington Regional Special Vote Hub, Wellington City Council, Arapaki Manners Library and Service Centre, 12 Manners Street, Wellington (hours of service generally Monday to Friday, 8am-5pm Monday 7 October 2019 to Friday 11 October 2019; however additional hours of service will be made available Saturday 5 October and to noon Saturday 12 October).
How the Single Transferable Vote (STV) system works
Voting for the Kapiti elections is done via the STV method, where voters rank candidates in order of preference. You can rank as many or as few candidates as you wish. More information on how STV works can be found here.