Building Officers – Ref:119
Full Time - Permanent
About the role
The Kapiti Coast District Council is looking for experienced builders wanting to move into the Building Control field or Graduates wanting to kick start their career in a growing and dynamic district. The Building Officers ensure that people are safe in and around buildings across our district. You will sit within a knowledgeable and innovative team, which offers the opportunity to work within a friendly and supportive environment providing you with on-the-job training to gain the skills you require to complete or maintain qualifications that satisfies accreditation regulation 18. As a Building Officer you will provide high quality, responsive building code inspection and certification services to ratepayers, public and external clients. Primarily you will be responsible for undertaking inspection functions in relation to the approved building consent, Code Compliance Certificates, Notices to Fix, Certificates of Acceptance and Certificates for Public Use. Furthermore, you will be responsible for maintaining accurate records and information databases in support of the Council’s continued status as an accredited Building Control Authority (BCA).
Skills and Experience
- A relevant building qualification or the ability to work towards a qualification that satisfies accreditation Regulation 18.
- A sound knowledge of the Building Act 2004 or the ability to learn understanding and applying legislations relating to the building industry.
- Competent in general computer use and the ability to adapt to new computer programs easily. The ability to use GoGet is an advantage.
- Have excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to confidently and clearly communicate technical issues and concepts to a wide range of people.
- Demonstrated commitment to customers.
- Great attention to detail with a high level of accuracy.
- Hold a current and Full New Zealand driving licence.
Please find a copy of the role description here [PDF 245 KB].
Beautiful beaches and a short journey to or from Wellington make the Kāpiti Coast a great place to live and work. Working for the Kāpiti Coast District Council means being part of a caring, dynamic and effective customer-focused team who makes a positive difference in the community we serve.
Enquiries about this position should be directed to Steve Cody Building Team Manager on 04 296 4635 or free phone 0800 486 486.
How to apply
The preferred candidate will be required to undergo the usual pre-employment checks, including drug and alcohol screening, criminal history, and credit checks. Please note you must be eligible to work in New Zealand.
Please email with the subject line “Building Officers Ref:119” your cover letter, CV, completed Council Application form, copy of your work visa (if applicable), COVID-19 vaccination pass and Drivers Licence to [email protected].
Closing 12.00pm on Monday 13 June 2022.