Parks, Open Space and Environment Manager
Permanent – Full Time
We are looking for an outstanding leader with extensive knowledge of legislations relating to Environmental sustainability requirements. As the Parks, Open Space and Environment Manager you will provide leadership, management of operations and strategic direction of the Kāpiti Coast District’s Parks, Open Space and Environment team. The role is responsible for leading the team to achieve optimal and effective use of all recreation assets, facilities, open spaces and parks within the District so they are well designed to best support positive environmental outcomes and community use. The role has responsibility for ensuring parks and recreation assets, facilities and services are well used and meet current and future needs of all sections of the community. The Parks, Open Space and Environment team comprises three functional areas: Planning, Design and Advisory, and Programmes delivery.
The team is responsible for a significant portion of the Council’s efforts towards creating a sustainable, attractive and biodiverse environment within open spaces as well as our customer interactions and enjoyment of our parks, sportsfields, ecological reserves, and open spaces.
To be successful in this role you will have:
- A qualification in Parks and Recreations, or Environmental Management, or Conservation and Biodiversity Management and 7+ years’ leadership experience within the Parks and/or Environmental sustainability industry.
- Good working knowledge of relevant local and central government legislation, in particular, the Reserves Act 1977, the Resource Management Act 1991, and the Local Government Act 2002.
- Understanding of the issues relating to reserves and recreation management, e.g. open space protection, public use and enjoyment, environmental protection and restoration, recreation needs, environmental sustainability, biodiversity, amenity horticulture.
- Experience of operations and management of logistics planning, quality assurance, systems control.
- Experience in contract negotiations with complex stakeholders to deliver good outcomes for Council.
- Experience and working knowledge of ‘green’ and ‘blue’ asset management principles and systems within a government or ministerial context as custodians of public land.
- Experience in risk identification, assessment and management.
- Experience in strategy and policy development.
- Demonstrated experience in financial planning and management for decision making and reporting.
- Outstanding leadership skills with the ability to foster a positive culture of high performance within the team.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
- Ability to quickly provide effective guidance and advice in Council and Committee meetings.
- Effective interpersonal skills with a demonstrated commitment to customer service and willingness to and capability for working with a wide range of people within and outside the organisation.
- Effective time management skills and ability to work effectively without supervision and collaboratively as an effective team member.
- Strong relationship management focus that inspires trust and confidence and builds productive relationships.
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills.
- Holder of a current and valid Full NZ Drivers’ licence.
Working for the Kāpiti Coast District Council means being part of a caring, dynamic and effective customer-focused team who make a positive difference in the community we serve. If you’d like to be part of the team, contact us now.
Please find the Role Description on here.
The preferred candidate will be required to undergo the usual pre-employment checks, including drug and alcohol screening, criminal history, and credit checks. Please note you must be eligible to work in New Zealand.
Further information about the position and application documents are published on https://www.sheffield.co.nz