Subdivision and Development Guidelines
These guides will assist developers and builders planning a subdivision development.
Subdivision and Development Guides
All documents listed below are in PDF and available for download or print.
- Subdivision and Development Principles and Requirements, 2012 (192 pages, 5Mb)
This document is intended to provide a guide to subdivision and developments within the Kāpiti Coast district. It sets out what the Kāpiti Coast District Council needs from developers so that the requirements of the Resource Management Act and the Kāpiti Coast District Plan are met.
Subdivision and Development Principles and Requirements, 2005 (145 pages, 2Mb)
- Subdivision and Development Principles and Requirements - Isohyet Based Calculation of Design Peakflows, 2011 (57 pages, 4Mb)
- Best Practice Subdivision and Development Guide (30 pages, 3Mb)
This guideline sets out how neighbourhoods can be structured and the layout of streets, lots, and networks designed, in ways that achieve maximum benefits to the subdivider, end-resident, and community.
- Stormwater Guideline, 2012 (60 pages, 1Mb)
Low impact urban design and development (LUIDD)
- Kāpiti Coast Rainwater and Greywater Code of Practice, 2012 (30 pages, 333Kb)
- Rural Subdivision Design Guide (44 pages, 3Mb)
The overall vision of this guide is to encourage best practice subdivision design that helps ensure the qualities of the Kāpiti Coast rural area which we all value are maintained and enhanced. Copies for public viewing are also held at the Council offices in Rimu Road and the Paraparaumu Library.
- Medium Density Housing Best Practice Guide (39 pages, 2Mb)
This guide seeks to inform best practice in the planning and design of medium density housing.
- How to put nature into our neighbourhoods (56 pages, 3Mb)
A manual on the application of Low Impact Urban Design and Development (LIUDD) Principles, with a biodiversity focus, for New Zealand Developers and Homeowners.
- Kāpiti and Horowhenua Environmental Guidelines for Rural Living (28 pages, 3Mb)
This guide offers a range of ideas, options and advice which might help you through the Rural site development process. It has the support of local and regional councils, who want our rural area to both look good and be a healthy place and is based on designing around natural systems.
- The Streetscape Strategy and Guidelines (49 Pages, 2Mb)
The Kāpiti Coast is a rapidly growing area. Increasing traffic, in terms of vehicular, pedestrian, and cycle, is creating an equally increasing need to ensure our streetscapes are safe, high-quality, and desirable for all users.
This document sets out the process and tools that will enable the Council to take a considered, comprehensive and coordinated approach to resolving competing and often conflicting interests in regards to streetscapes.
- Standard Details and Specifications for Road Lighting
This standard serves as a basis of compliance for lighting projects carried out by the Kāpiti Coast District Council (‘the Council’) as part of its works programmes, as well as the subdivision and development of land where these activities are subject to the Resource Management Act.
- Earthworks and Archaeological Sites (2 Pages, 1 MB) A brochure on earthworks and archaeological sites, to encourage contractors, landscapers, developers and landowners to take precautions before digging.
Building, Resource Consents and District Plan In order to undertake your development, you may need to apply for both a building consent and a resource consent. Download Antenno Our free mobile app that sends you Council-related notifications about things that affect or impact the places you care about. Everything Kāpiti Read this week's e-newsletter and sign up to get the latest on council activities, upcoming events and opportunities to get involved. Christmas and New Year hours Some of our sites and service centres will have slightly different opening hours over the festive season. Find out the holiday hours of the Council services you use here. Kāpiti Coast Aquatics If you're looking for exercise, recreation or swimming lessons, look no further, come along to Kāpiti Coast Aquatics facilities! Our libraries Find out all you need to know about the Kāpiti Coast District Libraries.