Profile - Reikorangi, Waikanae
Reikorangi means The Gateway to Heaven. The area backs onto the Tararua Ranges and enjoys great hiking, an abundance of birds, and snowy vistas in winter time.
Reikorangi is a lifestyle choice for many and well known for its farming – nearly all households already practice self-sufficiency with chickens, vegetable gardens and fruit trees. Community spirit is strong, with people waving to strangers as they pass by, and finding the time to stop and say hello.
Team members lead busy lives with some commuting to Wellington during the day and managing the farm in the evenings and weekends.
Team motto is "No pressure, let's get together."
Their goals are to:
- Support each other by sharing resources and skills
- Find ways to reduce our carbon footprint
- Create social get-togethers
Specifically they would like to:
- set up a community recycling depot
- share native plants from forestry land
- set-up a composting operation
- share a community cow for milk and cheese making
- organise pot-luck / progressive dinners
- design and build a Children's Bush Slide (one for adults too!)
- organise a community database of skills and resources
- organise a kindling and firewood collective.