Profile - Rainbow Court, Raumati South
Average personal environmental footprint - October 2010
= 3.6 Earths
In their own words:
“Rainbow Court consists of 24 homes located in a peaceful Raumati South cul-de-sac situated between Queen Elizabeth Park and the sea with a panoramic view of the mountains to the East. Most of the Street was built 10-15 years ago and is lined with established trees and fruit trees. More recently the end of the street has been sub-divided and has empty sections.
“We have our own access through to Queen Elizabeth Park, and for the past few years residents of Rainbow Court have held an annual tree planting day at the park entrance.
“Some longer-term residents remember when a street Christmas Party was an annual event and when part of the subdivision was used as a community garden.
“Our community is small but diverse with Māori, Pakeha and immigrant households representing a wide demographic range, couples of different ages, families with babies and preschoolers as well as primary school kids and teenagers, solo parents, stay at home parents, “Golden Boomers”, retirees, self employed folk, Wellington commuters and those working locally.
“Our community embodies a rich source of skills, knowledge and interests as well as the goodwill to use these cooperatively.”
Their ideas and aspirations for the competition:
- improving the environment for our children’s futures,
- sharing knowledge about becoming more environmentally friendly,
- building relationships and getting to know each other better
- Setting up a ‘walking school bus’
- Beautifying the street
- Planting more communal fruit trees
- Developing a community garden
- Reducing rubbish and developing more efficient recycling systems
- Learning about worm farming
- Combining our food purchasing power to buy more local produce
- Saving money
- Keeping chickens
- Setting up networks to share produce, resources such as pre-loved items and tools and services like babysitting
- Starting a street coffee morning for stay-at-home parents
- Winning the prize!