Raumati Village roading improvements
Road improvements for Raumati Village are planned to improve safety, particularly around intersections and crossing points used to access schools and shops.
Thanks to everyone who visited our public sessions to find out more.
If you couldn't make our drop-in sessions, check out these maps, ask any questions and give us your feedback at [email protected].
- Rosetta Road/Victor Road – safety improvements (2021) [PDF 77 KB]
- Raumati Intersection – roundabout and safety improvements (2021/22) [PDF 80 KB]
- Matatua Road/Alexander Road – safety improvements (2021) [PDF 81 KB]
- Margaret Road – safety improvements and options for the village (2022/23) [PDF 200 KB]
Next steps (updated 17 September 2020)
We’re reviewing and analysing the feedback we received at our five public drop-in sessions. This feedback will help to inform our thinking.
We will then draw up detailed designs for the work planned for next year at the Rosetta Road/Victor Road intersection, at the Matatua Road/Alexander Road intersection, and in Kōwhai Grove.
Discussions will continue with the community over the work that’s planned for future years. That work is still subject to funding from NZTA and Council, and includes:
- 2021/22: A roundabout at Raumati Road, Matatua Road and Rosetta Road intersection and improvements at the intersection of Raumati Road, Margaret Road.
- 2022/23: Changes to Margaret Road. We’ll be looking at how Margaret Road could function better for the village, once we can see how the changes at the intersection are working.
Why are we planning these improvements?
Approximately 2,300 children of all ages use the footpaths in the area each day and the improvements will make the area safer for them and all pedestrians.
This work is part of the Council’s programme of traffic improvements to make things safer for vulnerable users – in particular older and younger residents.
Over the past five years a strategic programme of work to upgrade safety in Raumati Road and in the Village, has been ongoing.
Safety improvements for 2020/21 include installing raised tables to lower speed and improving crossing points for pedestrians near the Rosetta Road/Victor Road intersection and at the Matatua Road/Alexander Road intersection with additional parking and footpath planned for Kōwhai Grove.
Further improvements are proposed for the future but are still subject to securing funding from NZTA and Council and to further community input. These projects involve some significant changes, so we’ll be engaging with the community as well to understand all the issues so we can consider these in future designs, and so we can work to ensure minimal disruption to businesses.
The proposed future work that’s subject to funding includes:
- 2021/2022: A roundabout at Raumati Road, Matatua Road and Rosetta Road intersection and improvements at the intersection of Raumati Road, Margaret Road.
- 2022/23: We’ll be looking at how Margaret Road could function better for the village, once we can see how the changes at the intersection are working.
Previous work already completed
Previous projects consulted on and completed in the Raumati Road and Village area include:
- A roundabout at the Hillcrest Road/Goldsborough Avenue intersection
- Safety improvements at the Matai Road intersection
- Safety and amenity improvements at the Weka Road triangle
- A shared path on the north side of Raumati Road between the Kāpiti Expressway and Weka Road
- Improvements to Raumati Road layout with improved turn bays and pedestrian crossing points
- A shared path on the eastern side of Margaret Road from the College entrance to the shops
- The installation of electronic school warning signs and electric vehicle chargers
- The lowering of speed limits to 30km/hr in the Raumati Village centre area
- A new footpath on the western side of Alexander Road from Tui Road south to the Village