Rimu Road/Iver Trask Place intersection upgrade
The Rimu Road/Iver Trask Place intersection will be upgraded between 19 April and late June 2021 to improve pedestrian and traffic safety in the area. This upgrade is part of the Paraparaumu masterplan to transform Rimu Road into the main street of Paraparaumu.
A controlled pedestrian crossing will be installed on a new ‘raised table’ traffic-calming area. The existing pedestrian crossing on Rimu Road will be removed as part of the works. Moving the pedestrian crossing to the intersection better matches pedestrian flow in the area.
One lane of traffic will run in each direction through the work site during the day (6am to 6pm) but this section of Rimu Road will be fully closed overnights at times from 6pm to 6am. A signed detour will be in place during the night closures.
Stage 1: Traffic will run on the east (Coastlands) side of Rimu Road while work is carried out on the west (Council) side of the road. Iver Trask Place will be closed at Rimu Road. This stage of works will take approximately three weeks. Access to the Council office, library and Café Novella is available from Brett Ambler Way or Ngahina Street.
Stage 2: Traffic will run on the west (Council) side of Rimu Road while work is carried out on the east (Coastlands) side of the road. Iver Trask Place will be open to traffic with restrictions (left in/left out only).
Stage 3: The work site will move to the middle of Rimu Road and one lane of traffic will run on each side of the work site. Iver Trask Place will be open to traffic with restrictions (left in/left out only).
Note that works are subject to change, and may be rescheduled due to bad weather or other unexpected events.
Upgrade works include:
- constructing the improved intersection on a traffic-calming ‘raised table’
- installing traffic lights to better control traffic moving through the Rimu Road/Iver Trask Place intersection
- installing a Barnes Dance pedestrian crossing
- removing the existing pedestrian crossing on Rimu Road.
On the corner of Rimu Road, Iver Trask Place and Kāpiti Primary School, we've already completed:
- landscaping and planting
- creation of a bay for buses to safely pull in and collect passengers, and help traffic flow more smoothly.
Outside Tākiri House and the Coastlands car park we’ve:
- improved the access between the footpath and shops
- created four gardens
- provided more seating
- made some minor safety improvements with cycle lane markings.