Supporting economic development
The Kāpiti District Economic Development Strategy 2020–23 was adopted by Council on 30 July 2020. It provides a long-term roadmap for a thriving local economy, and ensures a coordinated and inclusive approach to economic development activity in the Kāpiti Coast District.
The strategy outlines how we can work together to harness local knowledge, skills and resources while setting goals to help us make the best decisions. It was informed by a drafting group that included representatives from the business community and Council. The draft strategy went out for public consultation and had input from our iwi partners, key stakeholders and the wider public.
- Kāpiti District Economic Development Strategy and Implementation Plan 2020–23 [PDF, 5.93 MB]
- Consultation process.
The strategy identifies five key focus areas to achieve its Ngā Moemoea/Vision:
- Whakapapa – positioning the Kāpiti Coast
- Kaitiakitanga – open for opportunity
- Whānau – growing skills and capability
- Kotahitanga – strengthening partnerships and leadership
- Manaakitanga – supporting key sectors.
The independent Economic Development Kotahitanga Board provides governance, unifying a strategic direction for economic activity for the district, governed by a Terms of reference.
The Board oversees the implementation and delivery of the Kāpiti Coast Economic Development Strategy and Implementation Plan 2020–23, and will build momentum and trust with key partners, stakeholders and the wider community.
Economic Development Kotahitanga Board Members:
- Chris Claridge – Chief Executive of Potatoes NZ
- Hillmarè Schulze – Chief Economist at BERL (Business and Economic Research Ltd)
- Kim Tahiwi, Ngāti Raukawa – chartered accountant and Kaiarahi contracted to Ngā Hapū o Ōtaki
- Neil Mackay - Board Chair
- Rawiri Faulkner, Ngāti Toa Rangatira – consultant at Tū Taiao Ltd specialising in planning, policy, strategy and projects
- Russell Spratt, Āti Awa ki Whakarongotai – principal consultant with Jackson Stone and partners
- Scott Houston – tech entrepreneur and futurist.
The Independent Economic Development Kotahitanga Board
Left to right: Districtwide Councillor Angela Buswell, Kim Tahiwi (Ngāti Raukawa), Rawiri Faulkner (Ngāti Toa Rangatira), Hillmare Schulze, Neil MacKay (Chair), Chris Claridge, Scott Houston, and Russell Spratt (Āti Awa ki Whakarongotai).
The Kāpiti District Economic Development Strategy 2020–23 was informed by a drafting group that included representatives from the business community and Council
Left to right: Darryn Grant (Acting Group Manager Place and Space) Heather Hutchings (past Chair of the Kāpiti Coast Chamber of Commerce), Liz Koh (past Chair of Kāpiti Economic Development Agency, KEDA), Jenna-Lee Philpott (Creative Kāpiti), Districtwide Councillor Angela Buswell and Leanna Hill (Acting Economic Development Manager).
- Economic Development strategy and implementation plan 2020–23 (PDF, 5.94 MB)
- Media release 30 Nov 2020 – Economic development strategy a feat of community collaboration
- Visitor attraction plan 2016–18 (PDF, 558.16 KB)
- Events plan 2015–18 (PDF, 507.18 KB)