Council-provided bike stands include:
- Paekākāriki, outside Old Beach Bakery on Beach Road
- Mahara Place, by the water feature
- Mahara Place, outside Mahara Iti gallery
- Paraparaumu Library, front door
- Marine Gardens, Matatua Road (opposite Raumati Beach shops)
- Raumati Village, Margaret Road (opposite The Village Baker)
- Raumati Village, EV charging station on Raumati Road (opposite Heritage Barbers) (to be installed July 2023).
Other bike stands are available around Kāpiti, but not maintained by Council. If you notice damage to these, please let the indicated owner know about this. Some key locations are:
- Waikanae Train Station (owned by Greater Wellington Regional Council)
- Paraparaumu Train Station (owned by Greater Wellington Regional Council).
We’re trialling new bike stands in Paekākāriki and Raumati to help inform a plan for the rollout of more biking infrastructure in Kāpiti.
A new stand was installed in Paekākāriki, outside Old Beach Bakery on Beach Road in early 2023.
Two further bike sites will be installed this July at Raumati Village:
- on Margaret Rd (opposite The Village Baker),
- by the EV charging station on Raumati Rd (opposite Heritage Barbers).
We’d like to grow the number of stands in Kāpiti and this trial will provide information on stand design, location, and demand.
Locky Docks are free, secure bike stands that include charging stations for e-bikes and e-scooters. Note that you’ll need to bring your own charger, which you’ll secure in a sealed compartment while you’re using it.
Non-electric bikes are also able to use these secure stands.
Locky Docks’ first Kāpiti location is outside the Council building, at 175 Rimu Road, Paraparaumu. There are 10 secure bike bays at this location.
Another Locky Dock station will be installed as part of the Paraparaumu transport hub upgrade.
Reporting problems or damage
Report any problems or damage to Locky Docks stations to their owners, Locky Docks.
Video: How to use Locky Docks
Over the years Council’s had numerous requests from our community for secure bike parking. While we don’t own the Locky Docks stations, we’ve worked with Big Street Bikers to provide a location for their stations so our community can access this infrastructure.
The site on Rimu Road beside the Council building was identified as providing:
- protection for bikes from prevailing weather
- good lighting
- access to power
- a convenient central location, close to:
- Coastlands Shopping Centre
- Council service centre
- our main library.