Payments (online and others)
This page outlines how you can make online payments to Kāpiti Coast District Council. Some services have different payment options which are explained below.
See below for the ways you can pay online:
We’ve launched a new online portal that will soon allow you to make all your Council transactions, and keep all your records, in one secure place.
We’re taking a staged approach to rolling out the portal, but as part of this year’s annual dog registration process, owners already registered with the Council can use it now to set up an account and make dog registration payments.
At this stage, we can only process registrations for customers whose dog owner details we already have in our system. However, more services will become available through the portal in the coming months, including the ability for new owners to register their dogs.
Please note that you'll need your registration form and either a debit or credit card to do this. Please also read our Online payment Terms & Conditions before proceeding with this service.
You can arrange to pay your property and water rates by direct debit.
- Direct Debit Application Form for property and water rates
If you sell your property and purchase a new one, you must complete a new direct debit authority. This is not automatically transferred to your new property.
If you wish to cancel your direct debit authority please advise us in writing using the form below or by email [email protected].
- Direct Debit Cancellation Form for property and water rates
Please don't cancel the authority at your bank. This cancels all existing authorities or new authorities to the Kāpiti Coast District Council.
You can set up an automatic payment or payment via internet or telephone banking at the frequency or one-off payment that suits you. However if there's still money owing when you receive your invoice, you need to pay the balance. This can be done for Property and Water rates, or for services like LIM reports, building consents and for parking infringements.
To set up an automatic payment or payment via internet or telephone banking:
- Identify 'Kapiti Coast District Council' as the biller or enter our bank account number 03-0732-0306101-00.
- Select the biller name 'Kapiti Coast District Council – Other’.
- If you see multiple billers, select the one that you are paying eg 'Kapiti Coast District Council – Dog Registration’ or 'Kapiti Coast District Council Water Rates'
- Water rates
- specify your account number (six-digit number shown in the 'Summary' section on your Water Charges tax invoice/statement e.g. WOxxxxxx) in the 'Reference' field
- Property rates
- specify your valuation number (ten-digit number shown below your name and address on your quarterly combined Rates Invoice/Credit Note)
- When prompted to add a reference / account number please show your ten digit valuation number (this number is located on your rates assessment notice, rates invoice or from the Rates Property Search).
- Other payments - Put your name in the 'Particulars' field (e.g. Ian Smith), your invoice reference number in the ‘Code’ field (e.g. BC011102), and your reason for payment in the ‘Reference’ field (e.g. LIM, building consent, parking infringement).
Note: If you sell your property and purchase another, you need to change the account number in the reference field.
You will need:
To pay property rates - You will need your property number, this will be displayed on your quarterly Rates Invoice (not your valuation number).
To pay water rates - You will need your water account number, this will be displayed on your water invoice.
Credit Card convenience fee - Westpac New Zealand Ltd charges a convenience fee per transaction for this service. The current convenience fee is displayed on the credit card payment screen before any payment information is requested. Kāpiti Coast District Council does not receive any part of this fee.
Allow processing time - Be sure to allow time before your instalment due date for processing the transaction. If you make your payment before 10.30pm, the payment will appear in your Kāpiti Coast District Council rate account on the following business day. Transactions after 10.30pm will appear after two business days.
Terms and conditions - By paying online you accept and agree to be bound by the Online Transactions Terms and Conditions.
You can post a cheque payment to:
Kāpiti Coast District Council
Private Bag 60601
Please enclose the remittance advice with your cheque to make sure payment is allocated to the correct property, and please post cheque's in time to make sure they are received by Council by the due date specified to avoid late payment penalties.
Don't post cash.
Receipts aren't issued unless they are specifically requested.
You can pay in person with cash, cheque or EFTPOS at the Civic Building, 175 Rimu Road, Council's Service Centres at Waikanae and Ōtaki libraries or your local PostShop or Westpac branch.
Use the PostShop or Westpac Bank locator to find your nearest branch, details of opening hours and services offered.
Payments of Kāpiti Coast District Council invoices must be made in accordance with the instructions on the invoice and if not so specified, by the 20th of the month following the date of the invoice, unless otherwise agreed by Kāpiti Coast District Council in writing.
If payment is not received by the due date the customer will be liable for all costs and expenses incurred in collection of any overdue amount.
By accepting goods, services or credit from the Kāpiti Coast District Council, the customer has agreed to be bound by Kāpiti Coast District Council Terms of Trade.
These Terms of Trades do not apply to rates levied by Kāpiti Coast District Council. Rates information is contained in the Funding Impact Statement – rating policies in the Kāpiti Coast District Council’s latest Annual Plan/Long Term Plan, a copies of which can be obtained here.