Corridor Access Requests (CARs)
Before undertaking work in the legal road you must make a Corridor Access Request (CAR) - (formerly a Road Opening Notice - RON) and receive a Works Access Permit (WAP) from the Council.
Corridor Access Request (CAR)
Submit your application through the "Before U Dig" website to check for locations of any underground services. This is a web based service that you or your contractor use to get plans and information emailed out to you.
This also provides the mechanism for you to make a Corridor Access Request and provide us with a Traffic Management Plan to protect your site, contractors, and the public during operations.
There are other events or activities in the road that don't require a CAR and WAP but still require a Traffic Management Plan
Some examples of activities requiring a permit are:
- trenching works
- footpaths and entranceways
- work within the berm or shoulder of the road, and
- tree work, scaffolding and crane work.
Dial B4U Dig
Ensure that before any excavations are undertaken a "Before U Dig" inquiry is made to check for locations of any underground services. This is a web based service that you or your contractor use to get plans and information emailed out to you. This also provides the mechanism for you to make a Corridor Access Request and provide us with a Traffic Management Plan to protect your site, contractors, and the public during operations.
Please note: The "Before U Dig" service has no information on council's buried water, wastewater or stormwater assets. Our mapping tools shows the location of the buried council assets.
There are other events or activities in the road that don't require a CAR and WAP but still require a Traffic Management Plan (TMP) - see information below:
TMP Short Form Should only be used for simple activities where work is not in a live traffic lane e.g.
- vehicle crossing/driveway construction
- footpath construction
- work on the shoulder or grass verge only
TMP Full Form Must be used for all other work and for generic plans:
CAR fees 18/19 Year
The fee covers the processing of the request, checking and authorising the TMP, issuing a WAP, multiple site inspections, and administering the sign off and maintenance period for any reinstatements. There is a three tier charging regime based on the complexity of the works and time taken to process it.
- Minor works: $72.00 Examples of minor works are; simple power, gas or phone connections with no trenching or excavations in the road reserve with minimal traffic management requirements and up to one hour of council time.
- Major works: $144.00 Trenching in the road reserve up to 20 metres long, closing a road or traffic lane, diverting a footpath, evening or night works, full traffic management/control and up to 2 ½ hours of council time.
- Project Works: $285.00 Trenching over 20 metres, substantial plant and workers in the road corridor, large scale traffic management and up to four hours of council time.
- Roading Engineer $157.00 per hour
- Clerk of Works $104.00 per hour
If you want to close a road, restrict access to a road or to dig under a road, you need to ask the permission of the road owner before you can do this. See the Submitica website.
Set Up a User Account
Users must set up a Submitica user account to be able to submit CARs. This information will be passed to third parties such as city councils, district councils and NZTA.
Detail the CAR
Submitica helps you determine the type of CAR and the information required for the application. If you need to log out at any stage, when you log back in, Submitica directs you to the step in the application process where you left off.
Need Help Video
If at any stage you need help when using Submitica please contact RAMM Support by emailing email@example.com.