Flooding across the Kapiti District
Metservice is stating that the worst of the weather in Kāpiti is over with rain easing and river levels dropping. Just 1.2mm of rain is predicted to fall between 3-6pm today, compared with about 32mm between 10am-12pm earlier when the rain was at its worst.
Latest information on flooding is:
- Otaihanga Domain and the Howarth Block are closed. The Otaihanga Bridge at the domain cannot be accessed.
- All roads still open but extensive flooding in Te Horo due to Mangaone Stream. Flooding in Te Horo Beach Rd, School Rd, Hautere Cross Road, Mangaone Nth Rd and Otaki Gorge Rd. Traffic management is in place for some of these roads.
- There have been traffic delays on SH1 between Manakau and Levin near Ohau Bridge due to flooding.
- There has been surface flooding in Raumati South, Guildford Drive and on the corner of Ngaio and Tasman Roads in Ōtaki
- 70mm of rain has fallen in Paekākāriki since midnight.
- A significant blockage of the Epiha St culvert has been cleared.
- Pararparaumu wastewater treatment plant storm buffer storage pond is also now being utilised.
It is worth noting how quickly this situation developed and our need to be in a constant state of preparedness.