Kāpiti Coast Airport Control Tower
Paraparaumu Airport control tower, "the most up to date control tower in New Zealand." ca 1947. Alexander Turnbull Library Ref: 70920 1/2
Location: 227 Kapiti Road, Paraparaumu
Built in 1947, the Kapiti Coast Airport Control Tower is a Paraparaumu landmark. Formerly known as the Paraparaumu Aerodrome, the airport was developed in 1939, and was used by RNZAF units during the war. When Rongotai Airport closed for major upgrading in 1947, Paraparaumu became Wellington’s main airport until 1959. Since civil aviation movements suddenly increased to over twenty a day, a control tower was imperative.
The Public Works Department’s architects could find no prototype plans for control towers. However, the simple structure that they designed has stood the test of time with modifications to meet increased technological requirements. The Control Tower, which is registered as a Category II Historic Place, is still used for the provision of flight information services.
Download a brochure
Click on a link below to download or print a copy of each heritage trail brochure.