Kāpiti Coast Older Persons' Council
The Kāpiti Coast Older Persons' Council (formerly the Council of Elders) was established in 2008 as a voice for older people in our community.
The Older Persons Council:
- advises Kāpiti Coast District Council to influence policy and planning
- advocates to government agencies
- holds senior expos promoting services for older people and their families
- holds community forums to inform older people on issues affecting their everyday living
- undertakes projects to improve older people's wellbeing.
Kevin Burrows is the current chairperson of the group. The group meets the last Wednesday of the month, January–November, 1–3pm in the Council Chambers.
New members are always welcome.
Theme: My Mother's apron, Stories from the kitchen table.
The Kāpiti Coast Older Persons’ Council put together an exhibition to acknowledge Mother’s Day, a follow on from our exhibition honouring and celebrating older people on the Kāpiti Coast.
We asked the people of Kāpiti to write a short story, poem, or letter to Mums, or share a memory of her signature dish, recipe, or family mealtime experience, and to send us with a picture. All entries were displayed in Paraparaumu Library and Coastlands for the community to enjoy.
All entries went into the draw to win one of two hampers. The winners of the Hampers were Danelle Stella and Grace Terry.
You can watch the heartwarming stories and recipe videos and read the touching submissions below:
My Mother's Apron exhibition booklet[PDF 4.42 MB].