We’re reviewing the policies used to help manage gambling in the Kāpiti district. We're required to review these two policies every three years.
What they are
Our two gambling policies are:
- Class 4 Gambling Policy 2019 – covering the use of gaming machines (pokies) in the district, including:
- the number and location of Class 4 venues
- restrictions on the maximum number
- relocation of gaming machines.
- TAB Venue Gambling Policy 2019 – covering TAB venues, including:
- whether new venues can be established in a district
- where they may be located.
These aim to:
- reduce gambling harm
- control the growth of gambling
- ensure gambling venues are appropriately located
- ensure gambling venue consents are considered and issued in line with policies.
Right now we’re gathering data and information from a range of sources to build a picture of the impacts of gambling in the community. This includes various data sources and key stakeholders.
Once we have a clear understanding of the current issues we’ll look at whether policy changes are needed. This review may show our current policies are still fit for purpose as they are for another three years. If changes are needed, we'll begin drafting these.
We’ll be asking the public for feedback on any potential changes in early 2023 – after the election and once a new Council is inducted.
You can find more information about gambling rules and regulations on our Gaming machines page.
We'll be following these phases in this process.
|May–November 2022||Phase 1
|Early 2023||Phase 2