Find your play
The positive benefits of play include:
- being physically active in a fun way that develops fundamental movement skills
- encouraging self-directed creativity and innovation
- improving social and emotional connection
- connecting tamariki to their physical surrounding
- improving resilience, independence and leadership by determining their own outcome
- aiding better decision-making based around elements of challenge and risk.
This summer you might have seen Waka Kori, Kāpiti’s own play trailer out and about in our parks. Waka Kori makes it possible to go out to communities for pop-up play sessions. We’re doing this to remind us that play is super important for our tamariki’s physical and mental health. There is so much good stuff that happens when we play.
It’s a treasure chest of materials and equipment designed to spark the imagination and inspire creative play, and includes things like hurdles, a badminton set, balls, elastics, pool noodles, a swing set, frisbees, and much more.
If you would like to get in touch, email us at [email protected].