Did you know we have 49 playgrounds in neighbourhoods across Kapiti, and each year we upgrade a selection of them from across the District? We carefully monitor all our playground equipment to make sure it stays safe to play on. This is measured against national standards, and each year we replace the equipment that's reaching the end of its safe shelf life.
When we upgrade playgrounds, we do our best to keep them accessible, fun, varied and make sure they cater for a wide range of abilities. They need to meet the needs of the children that use them, and their caregivers. We have set budgets for each playground and we aim to provide new equipment that meets the criteria, fits with what we can afford and meets community needs. Our parks team works hard to be creative to make sure we get the best solutions with the money available.
2018/19 playground upgrades
- Matthews Park playground is now complete and looking great.
- The Pohutukawa Park playground upgrade is underway and due to be completed by June 2019.
- Waikanae North playground - we're relocating and upgrading this playground. The community had two options to choose from and the most preferred option will be installed by July 2019.
2019/20 playground upgrades
We’re revamping six Kāpiti playgrounds over the next financial year (July 2019/June 2020). Whether your kids are two or twelve, if these playgrounds are in your neck of the woods, we want to hear your ideas for what you want to see at your park.
Our first round of consultation closed on 10 May. We got you to fill out a short survey to get your thoughts on what you'd like to see at your playground. Soon, we'll get back to you with info about what you said, and next steps, which will involve sharing your thoughts again. Watch this space!
- Campbell Park playground, Paekākāriki
- Mazengarb Reserve playground, Paraparaumu
- Marere Avenue playground, Paraparaumu
- Pharazyn Avenue playground, Waikanae Beach
- Waimeha Domain playground (partial renewal), Waikanae Beach
Tasman Reserve, Ōtaki - following on from initial discussions with the community, in 2019/20 we'll have budget to put in an extra piece of equipment. We'll be in touch with residents around options.
Questions and answers
We regularly get asked questions about our playground upgrades. We've answered a few of them here, but if you have a question that we haven't covered, please get in touch.