Dog owners who meet certain criteria can apply to be an approved owner, which allows a discount on annual registration fees. You can apply to be an Approved Owner by 1 May, before registration is due.
If your application is approved, your Approved Owner status lasts for the life of your dog (unless they breach any of the conditions outlined on the application form (online or printable[PDF 239 KB]), or you move property (see the Approved owner re-inspection fee in Animal management fees). Being an Approved Owner has a one-off non-refundable processing fee, and entitles you to discounted registration fees.
To be considered for approved ownership status, you must meet the conditions for approved ownership in sections 6.8–6.10 of the Council's Dog Control Policy 2019.
To apply to be an approved owner:
- Complete the application form (online or printable[PDF 239 KB]) before 1 May for the next registration year.
Note: applications received after 1 May will be considered in the next registration year.
- Pay the non-refundable processing fee. See Payments for more information.
Result: You'll receive an email advising that your application has been received.
- An Animal Management officer will review your application, and contact you to arrange a property inspection or to clarify any points.
- The Animal Management officer will inspect your property.
- You'll be advised in writing when a decision has been made.
You can also contact the Animal Management team to discuss further. The Council reserves the right to exercise discretion in granting Approved Owner status.