Most of us love a good fireworks display – the sparks, colours and explosions in the night sky. It's important to remember a few rules around fireworks to keep everyone safe!
Don't let off fireworks on any beach or in any parks or reserves in the district.
You can have fun with fireworks in your backyard, but keep in mind these safety tips:
- Bring your pets inside – animals are often scared by the noise of fireworks.
- Let your neighbours know you're planning to let off fireworks, especially if they have pets or animals (including ones they can't bring inside, like horses or livestock).
- Ensure that only adults light fireworks.
- Read and follow the instructions on fireworks before letting them off (read them using a torch, not a naked flame).
- Point fireworks at the sky, not at people, houses/buildings or anything potentially flammable.
- Never attempt to relight a firework that hasn't gone off.
- Always keep a bucket of water or a hose handy.