Waikanae Community Board by-election
Following a second resignation from the Waikanae Community Board, the Kāpiti Coast District Council has called for a by-election to fill the vacant seats. Community Boards are an important part of local democracy and we encourage anyone who has an interest in representing the interests of, and advocating on behalf of, the Waikanae community to get in touch with the Council.
Nominations for the vacancies opened on 22 September 2020, and closed at noon Tuesday 20 October 2020. Candidates nominated in the August/September 2020 call for nominations remain candidates for this by-election.
The by-election to fill the vacancy on the Waikanae Community Board will be held by postal vote under the Single Transferable Voting (STV) electoral system. Voting documents will be delivered between 23–26 November and must be returned by midday Wednesday 16 December 2020. If you do not receive your papers during this time you can make a special vote by calling the electoral officer. Special votes will be available at the Paraparaumu Library meeting room at the following times:
- during Council’s normal business hours, Monday 23 November to Tuesday 15 December
- 5pm–7pm on Thursday 10 and Friday 11 December
- 10am–2pm Saturday 12 December
- 9am–12 noon Wednesday 16 December.
|Name||Known as||Affiliation||Address||Mobile/work phone||Email address|
|BEGOVICH, Tonchi Jure||Tonchi Begovich||Independent||–||021 223 6931||[email protected]|
|KELLY, Katherine Mary||Katherine Kelly||–||82A Tutere Street, Waikanae Beach||021 707 663||[email protected]|
|MANSELL, Richard Paul||Richard Mansell||–||PO Box 99, Paraparaumu||[email protected]|
|TARAMAI, Nooroa||Nu Taramai||-||-||027 232 4611||[email protected]|
See the links below for the candidates' profiles.
To check your enrolment, a copy of the Preliminary Residential and Ratepayer Electoral Roll to be used for the by-election is available for inspection at the following locations, during normal office hours:
- Paraparaumu Customer Service Centre, 175 Rimu Road, Paraparaumu
- Paraparaumu Library, 9 Iver Trask Place, Paraparaumu
- Waikanae Library and Service Centre, Mahara Place, Waikanae
The preliminary roll closed at 5pm on Tuesday 20 October 2020.
People may still enrol or amend their enrolment details as outlined below, but will need to make a special vote.
If you live in the Waikanae Community Board area (residential electors):
- complete the appropriate form, available at any of the above locations or at any NZ Post Shop, and returning it to the Registrar of Electors for the Otaki Electorate.
- access the Electoral Commission website on elections.org.nz
- telephone 0800 ENROLNOW (0800 36 76 56).
Non-resident ratepayer electors
If you pay rates on a property in the Waikanae Community Board area, but live outside the area (non-resident ratepayer electors):
- Complete the Enrolment Form for Ratepayer Electors with your new or updated information.
Forms can be downloaded, or obtained from Council at the locations above.
- Return your completed form:
|in person to:||by post to:||by email to:|
Kāpiti Coast District Council
The Electoral Officer
COVID-19 impacts on alert level changes:
- The by-election should be able to run normally at Alert Level 1 and 2. However, public health advice and rules should be followed, such as limits on the size of gatherings and physical distancing.
- If the district is placed at Alert Level 3 or 4, it may be more difficult to campaign and to vote. Anyone who needs assistance with voting should contact the Electoral Officer.
- At Alert Levels 3 and 4, it may be necessary to consider changing some of the key election dates to ensure that everyone has a good opportunity to vote safely. If this is the case, the Electoral Officer and Council staff will meet with the Department of Internal Affairs to discuss options. The Department will advise the Minister of Local Government on the best course of action.
- The Electoral Officer also has the ability to extend the voting period, after voting has started, if necessary.
Tues 22 SeptCandidate nominations open
Tues 20 Oct 2020Candidate nominations close 12 midday
Mon 23 to Thurs 26 Nov 2020Delivery of voting documents
Mon 23 Nov to Wed 16 Dec 2020Voting papers returned to electoral officer (via post, or official drop-box/ collection point)
Wed 16 Dec 2020: Election DayVoting closes 12 midday