Paraparaumu Town Centre Transformation
Your town centre is the heart of your community
Our plans to improve the Paraparaumu town centre focus around making it the heart of the District and the primary focus for retail, commercial, cultural and civic activity. We've established a programme of work to contribute to this goal. We have already completed work improving Kāpiti Lights and making improving Rimu Road at the Iver Trask Place intersection.
Our masterplan gives an overview of the long term improvements planned in our town centres. Some of these improvements also intersect with our Stride n’ Ride Kāpiti Coast initiative and the Transport Agency’s work to make the existing State Highway 1 a local road.
Projects we're currently working on
Our programme of work is flexible enough to accommodate other opportunities happening in the town centre, including:
- Two significant developments from Coastlands, one of which includes retail expansion adjacent to Rimu Road.
- Work to turn SH1 into a local road is happening this year and we’re working with the NZ Transport Agency to help shape and influence this.
- The NZTA’s scheme design work is now complete and the tender process has commenced.
- Physical work will begin late October 2019 in Zones 1 and 2 (from Poplar Road Raumati end through to Ihakara Street).
- These works are expected to be completed late 2020, early 2021.
Project's we've completed
Making State Highway 1 a local road - Within the next 24 months SH1 through the Waikanae town centre will become a fit-for-purpose local road and responsibility for the road will transfer from the NZ Transport Agency to the Council – this process is known as 'revocation'. The NZ Transport Agency will be investing approximately $3 million in the Waikanae town centre as part of their works to revoke the old SH1. This will involve construction works within the existing road corridor to reduce SH1 to a single lane structure, intersection improvements, better east-west connections and improved public amenity.
- Waikanae town centre
- Timeframes - improving our town centres will take time and work has been spread over an 18 year programme of activity.
- Paraparaumu town centre local outcomes
- Central Paraparaumu growth report
- Paraparaumu traffic modelling report
- Structure plan for Paraparaumu town centre (note: this is a historical document and may not completely reflect the current plans for the town centre).
- View the 2015 final concept plans for Paraparaumu. (note: this is a historical document and may not completely reflect the current plans for the town centre).