Rules of conduct
Please respect others by following our rules for library customers.
Kāpiti Coast District Libraries
We welcome and encourage you to use the Kāpiti Coast District Libraries. In order to maintain a welcoming atmosphere, facilitate library use, preserve easy access to library materials, and protect library property, we ask that you observe our Rules of Conduct.
The following are NOT permitted in the Kāpiti Coast District Libraries:
- Engaging in any activity prohibited by law.
- Disturbing, disruptive or unsafe behaviour, including any conduct that interferes with the use of the library by others or with library staff. Examples include
- Using electronic devices without headphones. NOTE: you need to set the volume on the device so that no one else can hear the sound through your headphones)
- Roller skating or riding scooters or skateboards. These may not be ridden in the library.
- Bringing a bicycle or shopping trolley into the library.
- Loitering in library toilets.
- Loud, abusive or threatening language towards other customers or library staff.
- Threatening or harassing behaviour towards other customers or library staff (including but not limited to assault, stalking, offensive staring, gestures or touching).
- Leaving the library with materials that have not been checked out (with the exception of honesty jigsaw puzzles and magazines).
- Eating hot food, spitting and/or smoking inside the library building.
- Altering computer software or hardware.
- Sleeping in the library.
- Conducting business, including tutoring for a fee.
- Selling, requesting donations, or soliciting in the library or on the library grounds unless previously approved and authorised by Kāpiti Coast District Council.
- Damaging library property.
- Gang regalia (e.g., patches or bandannas)
- Animals, with the exception of service animals such as guide dogs.
When using the Internet computers, please observe the following:
- Be considerate of those around you (other computer users and library customers). This includes being mindful of the appropriateness of the sites you are viewing.
- No more than two people at a computer
- No food or drinks at computers
- Use headphones if using sound on the computer
- You must be 13 or older to use Facebook
Library staff may require anyone who does not abide by these rules to leave the library.