New shared path to improve accessibility to Paraparaumu town centre
Construction work to create a new shared path and underground power on Kāpiti Road between Arawhata Road and Ngahina Street starts this week.
The work is part of series of improvements the Kāpiti Coast District Council is making to Kāpiti Road over the next eight to ten months to ensure people can move freely between Paraparaumu’s beach and town centre once the Expressway opens.
Infrastructure Services Group Manager Sean Mallon says the Mackays to Peka Peka Expressway will change how people travel up and down Kāpiti Road.
“The work we are starting today to widen the footpath on the south side of Kāpiti Road and create a shared path between Arawhata Road and Ngahina Street aims to improve pedestrian and cyclist safety and accessibility to and from the Paraparaumu town centre.
“We’ll also be installing on-road cycleways and working with Electra to remove power poles and lay electricity cables underground on both sides of Kāpiti Road along the same stretch.”
The work is expected to be completed before the end of the year. There will be some disruption while these improvement works take place, but Mr Mallon says the Council aims to keep this to a minimum and there will be traffic management plans in place when needed.
Council is delivering this project in partnership with Electra. Funding has also been made available through Stride ‘n’ Ride Kāpiti Coast, a three way investment by the Council, the Urban Cycleways Fund, and the National Land Transport Fund (both administered by the NZ Transport Agency).
Hours of work:
- 7am and 5pm weekdays and Saturdays: work on the footpath and berms and work involving traffic management with no speed restrictions
- 9am and 3pm weekdays and Saturdays: work involving traffic management on the road where the speed is reduced
- Occasional night work relating to the undergrounding of power.
- Undergrounding of power and Vodafone services on the north side of Kāpiti Road starting at the intersection of Arawhata Street
- Vegetation clearance on the road reserve on the south side of Kāpiti Road.