Our masterplan gives an overview of the long-term improvements planned in our town centres. Some of these improvements also intersect with our Stride n’ Ride Kāpiti Coast initiative and the Transport Agency’s work to make the existing State Highway 1 a local road.
This masterplan[PDF 5.28 MB] gives an overview of the long-term improvements planned in the town centre. Some of these improvements also intersect with Waka Kotahi – NZ Transport Agency’s work to make the existing State Highway 1 a local road.
Our programme of work is designed to be flexible so it can accommodate other opportunities happening in the town centre.
We're currently working on:
The third stage of the Kāpiti Lights work, improvements at the SH1 entrance to Kāpiti Lights (linking to the transport hub), will be carried out at the same time Waka Kōtahi – NZ Transport Agency carry out work to turn SH1 into a local road.
This includes two significant developments from Coastlands, one of which includes retail expansion adjacent to Rimu Road, as well as establishing Rimu Road as a main street featuring more retail and other businesses.
Stages one and two of our work to upgrade the Kāpiti Lights area has made it more pedestrian friendly, helping create a setting that supports new and existing shops to thrive, and integrating Kāpiti Lights into the new town centre.
Old State Highway 1
Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency has:
- built a roundabout at the end of Raumauti Road
- installed new drainage and upgrading foot paths
- built new kerb and channel, footpath and driveway crossovers.
SH1 will soon become a fit-for-purpose local road and responsibility for the road will transfer from the Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency to the Council. This process is known as 'revocation'.
- Monthly Activity Status dates
- Paraparaumu growth report[PDF 2.19 MB]
- Paraparaumu traffic modelling report[PDF 1.07 MB]
- Structure plan for Paraparaumu town centre (historical document)[PDF 1.64 MB]
- 2015 final concept plans for Paraparaumu (historical document)[PDF 4.39 MB]