Our masterplan gives an overview of the long-term improvements planned in our town centres. Some of these improvements also intersect with our Stride n’ Ride Kāpiti Coast initiative and the Transport Agency’s work to make the existing State Highway 1 a local road.
Our programme of work is flexible enough to accommodate other opportunities happening in the town centre, including:
- work to turn SH1 into a local road, which is happening this year; we’re working with the NZ Transport Agency to help shape and influence this
- the NZTA’s scheme design work is now complete and the tender process has been completed
- physical work will begin mid-March 2020 in Zones 1 and 2 (from Poplar Road Raumati end through to Ihakara Street)
- these works are expected to be completed November 2020/early 2021.
- two significant developments from Coastlands, one of which includes retail expansion adjacent to Rimu Road
- Establishing Rimu Road as a main street featuring more retail and other businesses
- Integrating Kāpiti Lights into the new town centre
Making State Highway 1 a local road - Within the next 24 months SH1 through the Waikanae town centre will become a fit-for-purpose local road and responsibility for the road will transfer from the NZ Transport Agency to the Council – this process is known as 'revocation'. The NZ Transport Agency will be investing approximately $3 million in the Waikanae town centre as part of their works to revoke the old SH1. This will involve construction works within the existing road corridor to reduce SH1 to a single lane structure, intersection improvements, better east-west connections and improved public amenity.
- Monthly Activity Status dates
- Paraparaumu growth report (PDF, 2.19 MB)
- Paraparaumu traffic modelling report (PDF, 1.07 MB)
- Structure plan for Paraparaumu town centre (historical document) (PDF, 1.64 MB)
- 2015 final concept plans for Paraparaumu (historical document) (PDF, 4.39 MB)