Most of us love a good fireworks display – the sparks, colours and explosions in the night sky. It's important to remember a few rules around fireworks to keep everyone safe!
You can have fun with fireworks in your backyard, but keep in mind these safety tips:
- Bring your pets inside – animals are often scared by the noise of fireworks.
- Let your neighbours know you're planning to let off fireworks, especially if they have pets or animals (including ones they can't bring inside, like horses or livestock).
- Ensure that only adults light fireworks.
- Read and follow the instructions on fireworks before letting them off (read them using a torch, not a naked flame).
- Point fireworks at the sky, not at people, houses/buildings or anything potentially flammable.
- Never attempt to relight a firework that hasn't gone off.
- Always keep a bucket of water or a hose handy.