The ThinkBIG project funding is for young people aged between 13 and 24, who can apply for up to $1500 to run a youth-led project in your community.
The project could be almost anything that is trying to create positive change in the world, such as:
- an environmental project in your community
- a smoke-free event to promote healthy living at your school
- getting young people’s voices to Council or the Government on a particular issue.
Monday 4 April 2022
|Opening of applications|
11pm, Sunday 1 May
|Closing of applications|
4–7pm, Wednesday 4 May
|Interviews for shortlisted applicants (15 minutes per interview) – Paraparaumu|
4–7pm, Thursday 5 May
|Interviews for shortlisted applicants (15 minutes per interview) – Ōtaki|
Friday 6 May
|Youth Council meets to decide successful applicants|
|Applicants informed of funding decision|
Thursday 12 May
|Successful applicants announced|
6pm Thursday 12 May
|Successful applicants have two catchups with the ThinkBIG Coordinator.|
9 December 2022
Applications are open to individuals and groups, aged 13–24. Individuals can apply for funding towards personal development, up to $500. Groups can apply for funding towards projects, up to $1500.
If you have any questions, email [email protected]. Looking forward to reading your idea!
- must be aged 13–24 at 30 June 2022
- must live within the Kāpiti region (Paekākāriki to Ōtaki).
Criteria for groups
Group applicants cannot make or keep profit from the project; they can raise funds for others.
- must be led and facilitated by young people aged 13–24 years; adult help with the project is welcomed, if needed
- should be about having a positive impact or making a change in your school, community, New Zealand, or the world
- must be completed or running by 9 December 2022
- must not be religious in their purpose or content; projects run by young people with an affiliation to a religious group can be considered
- need to have an organisation/school that can receive the funds on their behalf (we can help you sort this if your project is selected).
Criteria for individuals
Individual applicants must complete their personal development activity by 9 December 2022.
- grant funds must go towards your own personal development
- funding tertiary study, only short course fees will be considered (EFTS <0.3).
Applications for funding close 11pm, Sunday 1 May 2022. Applications received after the closing date can not be considered.
Electronic applications are preferred, but hard copies will also be accepted.
|Email to:||[email protected]|
|Post to:||ThinkBIG Grants
Kāpiti Coast District Council
Private Bag 60601
|Deliver to:||ThinkBIG Grants
Kāpiti Coast District Council
175 Rimu Road
For more information, email [email protected].
Previous recipients of ThinkBIG grants include:
|Manukura group from Ōtaki College||Project to develop positive male role models and leaders||2020|
|Kāpiti Equestrian and Vaulting Centre||Leading a group to undertake a Duke of Edinburgh Silver Award Journey on horseback.||2020|
|Manawanui Wahine group at Ōtaki College.||Manawanui wahine will use the funding to grow their girls’ leadership and personal development group||2020|
|Pickle Pot Be-In||Planning a free, smoke-free, alcohol free, 'summer day-festival' showcasing youth talent in Kāpiti, with the mantra "for the youth, by the youth"||2020|
|SEAR sustainability group at Paraparaumu College||Provide an aluminium can recycling system after their rubbish audit found that cans make up 6 percent of daily waste at the college.||2020|