Nominate or stand
Local government only succeeds if people who stand for and care for their communities are prepared to serve. As an elected a member of Council or a community board, you’ll be making a positive difference for people and communities for today and into the future.
As an elected member, you'll need to:
- be involved in community engagement with your council
- commit to ensuring all voices are heard
- work to build and protect a culture of inclusion and belonging.
You'll also need to demonstrate your commitment to honouring the principles of Te Tiriti o Waitangi – The Treaty of Waitangi.
Good governance balances short- and long-term responsibilities. Your role will be to focus on the overall performance of Council, such as how it meets community expectations and aspirations, fulfils statutory obligations and looks after assets.
Candidate nominations were open from 15 July 2022 until 12 August 2022 at 12 noon.
All nominations needed to be received by Council at noon, 12 August – this deadline can't be extended.
The nomination process involves:
- Completing an official nomination form and sending to the council’s electoral officer.
- Nominations from two people. Candidates cannot nominate themselves, and people who nominate candidates must be over 18 years old and enrolled to vote in the area the candidate is planning to stand.
- Candidates must consent to their nomination going forward.
- A $200 deposit must be paid, which may be refunded depending on election results.
- Candidates must be New Zealand citizens.
Mayor nomination paper [PDF 373 KB]
Nominations can be returned:
The Electoral Officer,
PO Box 5135,
Victoria Street West,
Kāpiti Coast District Council,
175 Rimu Road,
We held information sessions on standing as a candidate at the following times and places.
|Date and time||Location|
|2–3.30pm, Saturday 23 July||Raumati South Community Hall
Tennis Court Road, Raumati South
|4–5.30pm, Tuesday 26 July||Waikanae Community Centre
28–32 Utauta Street, Waikanae
|9.30–11.00am, Wednesday 27 July||Council Chambers
Ground floor, 175 Rimu Road, Paraparaumu. Recording available below.
|5.30–7.00pm, Tuesday 2 August||Ngā Purapura (Te Wānanga)
145 Tasman Road, Ōtaki
|6–7.30pm, Tuesday 9 August||St Peters Hall
Cnr Beach Road and Ames Street, Paekākāriki