We have 49 playgrounds in neighbourhoods across Kāpiti, and each year we renew and upgrade a selection of them from across the district.
We carefully monitor all our playground equipment to make sure it stays safe to play on. This is measured against national standards, and each year we replace the equipment that's reaching the end of its safe shelf life.
2022/23 playground renewals
These Kāpiti playgrounds are being renewed this financial year (July 2022/June 2023):
When we renew playgrounds, we do our best to keep them accessible, fun, varied and make sure they cater for a wide range of abilities. They need to meet the needs of the children that use them, and their caregivers. We have set budgets for each playground and we aim to provide new equipment that meets the criteria, fits with what we can afford and meets community needs. Our parks team works hard to be creative and make sure we get the best 'bang for buck' solutions with the money available.
2021/22 playground renewals
These three Kāpiti playgrounds are being renewed this financial year (July 2021/June 2022):
- Milne Drive Reserve – Paraparaumu – consultation now closed
- Lorna Irene Drive Reserve – Raumati – consultation now closed
- Shotover Grove Reserve – Waikanae – consultation now closed
Consultation closed on these on 12 July, 2021. These parks are scheduled to be installed in the 2022/23 financial year.
Questions and answers
We regularly get asked questions about our playground upgrades and we know they can be a hot topic. Find out more about how we carry out playground upgrades.
If you have a question that we haven't covered, please get in touch by calling us, 0800 486 486 or emailing [email protected].
2020/21 playground upgrades
- Matai Road Reserve playground, Raumati
- Kotuku Park playground, Paraparaumu Beach
- Marere Avenue playground
2019/20 playground upgrades
- Campbell Park playground, Paekākāriki
- Mazengarb Reserve playground, Paraparaumu
- Pharazyn Avenue playground, Waikanae Beach
- Waimeha Domain playground (partial renewal)
- Tasman Road Reserve, Ōtaki Beach (partial renewal).