Mackays to Peka Peka
The 18-kilometre four-lane Mackays to Peka Peka Expressway is a welcome addition to the Kāpiti Coast.
It provides a much-needed second north-south connection that improves our district's resilience to weather events and traffic accidents and enhances connections on the Kāpiti Coast.
There are two full interchanges, at Kāpiti Road and Te Moana Road, and two partial interchanges, at Poplar Avenue and Peka Peka, providing key connections to the north and south.
For more information about the Mackays to Peka Peka Expressway, see www.nzta.govt.nz/projects/wellington-northern-corridor/mackays-to-peka-peka/
Mackays to Peka Peka Cycleway, Walkway and Bridleway
The Mackays to Peka Peka Expressway includes a 16 kilometre shared cycleway and walkway, with bridleway sections, running alongside the 18 kilometre Expressway. Together with our local roads and network of cycleways, walkways and bridleways, this recreational corridor enhances connections to and from our town centres and across the district.
State Highway 1 Revocation
Within two to four years of the Mackays to Peka Peka section of the Kāpiti Expressway opening, Waka Kotahi (the NZ Transport Agency) will hand over responsibility for SH1 to the Kāpiti Coast District Council and it will become a fit-for-purpose local road.
The process of making the current SH1 a local road is a formal process known as “revocation” (pursuant to section 103 of the Land Transport Management Act 2003).
Related agreements and reports
Six agreements between the NZ Transport Agency and Council in relation to the Mackays to Peka Peka Expressway were agreed.
- Mackays to Peka Peka Expressway: Project Agreements [PDF 54 KB](This report outlines the purpose of the project agreements)
- Process for revocation of State Highway One [PDF 16.54 MB]
- Application of open graded porous asphalt [PDF 5.94 MB]
- East/west connectivity [PDF 7.02 MB]
- Water Supply Project: Impact Remediation[PDF 3.41 MB]
- Queen Elizabeth Park cycleway/walkway[PDF 3.04 MB]
- Road Linkages at Nga Manu[PDF 2.79 MB]